AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a home theater system in need of updating. I just switched out the TV for a Sharp 70" Aquos 4K Ultra HD Smart TV a month ago. The next to go is the receiver. I have a Marantz SR8000, which doesn't even support HD. I plan to keep the Mirage speakers (5.1) which are the same vintage as the receiver, but still sound great. As I started to look into the upgrade, I ended up with more questions than answers. Yamaha seems to be producing great receivers for the money, e.g. Yamaha RX-V775WA . However, I kept the Marantz for 15 years, so I don't want to outgrow it. I was thinking of stepping up to an Anthem MRX 710 to emphasize sound quality (the bells and whistles can come from the media server). Then I discovered the world of components. Should I get a pre/pros and an amp, like the Marantz AV8801 and MM8077? Do I even need the amplifier immediately, or can I run off of the preamp or run it through the old receiver for a while (reasoning would be to put more $$ into pre/pros)? Should I break out the preamp and processor into individual components, like an Outlaw 975 surround and CX-A5000 preamp? And, if I go the component route, do I need a DAC or anything else? Budget is not a huge constraint, but my wife's brood pressure will go up linearly as I exceed 4K.

Notes: Important to me are 4K UHD pass-through (TV has nice up-converter), ARC and Deep Color. Don't know if I care about DLNA or Auto Lip Sync.

Sources: Blueray, DVD, Streaming, DirecTV Genie HD DVR, Roku, Media server, PlayStation 4

Thanks in advance for the advice.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts