AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know if I am talking to the correct forum on this question but I have found this particular one very helpful so if I’m in the wrong spot let me know and I will move it.

I just ordered my 2nd Tivo this morning and am looking forward to my dedicated home theater finished. I would expect to receive my custom cables and other finishing touches in the next week or so and carpet will be installed next week most likely.

I am figuring how I plan on hooking my components up and a few questions are raised. My receiver while a bit older is still top notch with me and I cant bring myself to get a new one (at least not in this HT). The only problem is it does not contain component jacks so I need to run directly to the TV (Mits 65 HD RS) with them.

My components and possible connections are as follows:

VCR- RCA only

DVD1- Component / S-Video / RCA

DVD2 (This is being used for the Digital Forge Intro but eventually it will be a 400 dvd changer for my movie collection)- Component / S-Video / RCA

SAT HTDV- Component / S-Video / RCA

Tivo- S-Video / RCA

I had originally hoped to connect the SAT to the Tivo like I do in my bedroom but then I would be giving up the quality of the component video.

Or do you have to flip sources between Tivo and Sat? if you do that then how do you connect them so Tivo has access to the Sat box?

Questions, Questions….. my head hurts.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The Sat to Tivo question depends on which Sat receiver you have. Some accept serial control input, some don't. Some HDTV receivers have simultaneous SD (Coax/RCA/S-video) / HD output, some don't.

With simultaneous output, you can hookup Component to the TV for HDTV live viewing, and use the S-video to Tivo for time-shifting in SD quality. Without simultaneous output, you'd need to program in the HD-SD switch command to record using the Tivo.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I beleive that i have a Hughes E86 Platinum High Definition Receiver. Dont know for sure cuz i am at work- but I am almost sure. I do NOT think that it will send simultaneous signals.

What do I do... OH NO!

·
Registered
371 Posts
With D* service, it really seems better to be using a D*tivo for timeshifting, since a D*tivo records 2 of the exact MPEG2 stream from sat, which looks better than high quality of a SA tivo, and only takes the amount of drive space as low quality. Plus the D*Tivo subscription is only $5/mo total for D* Tivo's in your home.

Usually the people that are hooking up SA tivo's have the lifetime subscription. (Or cannot get D* locals...)

That being said, the E86 is probably not the most SA Tivo friendly receiver on the market. It looks like you'll have to use IR blaster to control the E86 box. Without simultaneous output, you'll have to send the command to switch between the SD and HD output so the Tivo can record something I do not think it is impossible, but may take some legwork.

If possible, you might find it easier to cancel the SA Tivo order and get a D* Tivo ($99), or just buy another SD RCA D* receiver for the SA tivo, or check out the HDTV hardware forum on the $399 thread for details about getting a new D* HDTV receiver for $99 which would be more SA Tivo friendly.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DOH!!!!!!! It wont work. I had to cxl my order. That sucks. I have already paid 450 bucks for the HD receiver. Now I need to spend 1K on the combo unit? That stinks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.