AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I get a better picture from my DirecTV DVR using a cheap composite cable than I do using a higher quality s-video cable? My TV is the new 42" Sony RP LCD. Does this make any sense? The cables are the same length. I really have no idea what I am talking about, but I thought it was supposed to be the other way around?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My best guess is that the two inputs need to be calibrated differently. Most Sony's alow (in fact require) that each input be adjusted seperately with a few rare exceptions.

·
Registered
22,260 Posts
Because the Comb Filter in the TV is better than the D* DVR you are connecting using the S-Video.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
Because the Comb Filter in the TV is better than the D* DVR you are connecting using the S-Video.
Are you saying that when the s-video cable is used, the DVR does the filtering, but the TV does it when the composite cable is used?

·
Registered
22,260 Posts
Yes... only composite and RF input require a comb filter. So, the assumption here is that the TV has a better comb filter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow! I wasn't even looking for this answer but in reading it, realized I needed it. Thanks Mr. Random Forum Person! My composite is beating my S-video too and I couldn't figure out why but had just decided to leave it as is. One person said it was because I was just used to seeing composite all these years and therefore didn't appreciate the improved quality of the higher orders of cables and was trained to ignore things like dot crawl and other stuff like that that comes with composite. Glad to know I'm neither crazy nor a brainwashed drone. Comb filters, eh. I hope I leave all these issues behind when i go to DVI or HDMI.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Yes it has been noted many times that higher-end TVs with good comb filters often have a better quality picture with composite than s-video, it depends on the video source. The only way to test it is to try it both ways and you decide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
Yes... only composite and RF input require a comb filter. So, the assumption here is that the TV has a better comb filter.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.