AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried an inline converter from composite to s-video out from the VCR to the projector and seen any substantial difference in picture quality for cable TV? Saw an inline converter at Radio Shack and thought it might be better. I know both composite and s-video run through the Faroudja scaler but I didn't know if cable would look better this way. Anyone?:confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's unlikely that their would be any improvement - as a matter of fact it would probably look worse. There's only so much information carried in a composite signal, I doubt an inline converter would do a better job of extracting that information then the circuitry in the X1 does.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A crappy composite signal is still a crappy signal even if it's going over an s-video cable. Seems highly unlikely that you would see an improvement at all (maybe some expensive video processor would improve it). You need to get a cable box with an s-video output. Then you'll see an improvement. I use a Tivo (with s-video output) and I'm very happy with the picture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.