AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My customer purchased a Pioneer LD/DVD player ($900) unit, which he wants me to integrate into a distributed video system, using a component video matrix switch. The thing is, this awfully expensive unit does not up-convert LD to component video! Ridiculous as it is, I have to find a composite to component up-converter... Does anyone have any experience with products of this type? The cheaper the better, considering that my customer already spent close to a grand for an obsolete technology...

Thank you for any input on this issue.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
What you want is a "NTSC DECODER". Here's one semi-pro unit http://www.extron.com/product/produc...204&subtype=36 .

Another popular unit here is the Entech although I'm not sure if it's currently in production.

Ideally you want to go in COMPOSITE and not Svideo to the decoder as many (not all) laser disk players have a better composite output than an Svideo output. Laserdisk is a composite recording format.

Then there are used broadcast grade decoders on Ebay and used pro video dealers.

P.S. The units I am speaking of simply convert NTSC 525/60i compostie video to component 525/60i video. Just like comes out of an old DVD player. If you want to go to 1080i or 720p, you will need a scaler. This may actually be cheaper and higher quality then some of these pro quality decoders.

Check out the DVDO Edge for a $700 unit that is very good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts