AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right area to ask this, but here goes. Does there exist an adapter then you can plug the white and red composite cables (from a TV or VCR) into and then connect headphones to it. Leaving you with the yellow composite cable supplying the picture to the TV and the audio going directly to your headphones?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
You mixed up your terms a little. 'Composite' IS the yellow-jack video signal. The red and white are the stereo audio signals.

To answer your question, you might try getting an adapter, perhaps from Radio Shack, that has a pair of audio plugs on one end and a stereo headphone jack on the other end. The audio output may actually power the headphones directly.

If the volume isn't enough for you, you may want to look for a headphone amp. Do a Google-search. Alternately, you can look for a low-power amp or receiver, which would allow for source-selecting, and have future use.

·
Registered
753 Posts
some wireless head phones are connected via the R&L outputs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
RadioShack has the cable/adapter

As others have said you mean the L&R RCA's (white and red). I found the RCA output from my CD player was unbearably loud so I added a Koss 3.5mm attenuator ($7) to cool it down. Most line level outputs will be too quiet so you need to add a headphone amp. Grado makes an excellent one ($500); Danelecto makes a cheap one ($15). You can use powered computer speakers as a headphone amp since many have headphone jacks.

Many people choose to go with tubes for a headphone amp as its more affordable than other applications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.