AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 100 feet of rg-6 installed to a dss receiver and I want to connect this to an a/v receiver. Is there a converter that will convert coax to composite (red white) and maintain the stereo sound? If so where to buy?

THANKS

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you have only one run of coax to work with & you want to run stereo sound plus video through it, I think that a stereo modulator (like ChannelPlus 5615) is your best choice. You'd need to run this into a stereo VCR (which would be connected to your A/V receiver) & tune the VCR to the channel that you're modulating to. Stereo modulators are expensive, though.

If you can run more wires, you could run some line level audio cable (enough for 2 channels) from the DSS receiver to the A/V receiver. Terminate both ends with RCA plugs. Get F (normal coax) to RCA adapters for each end of the coax that you've got run & use that for the composite video signal.

Another idea -- if your DSS receiver has a coax digital audio out & your A/V receiver has coax digital audio in, you could run a single additional coax instead of the line level audio cables. This would be easier to wire & would allow you to get Dolby Digital from satellite into the A/V receiver. If the satellite receiver has optical digital out, but not coax digital, you can get an optical coax converter for approx. $50 (look for MIDIMAN CO2 at www.jandr.com ).

Regards

BB

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BB.

I only need the Audio only, no Video. Running more cable is too much work just to get the DSS music to my deck. I already have in place a dedicated DSS receiver for music only going to each room that I would like to send to the deck via coax, and I have a few CP modulators now, but I Don't have the Stereo models, and I would hate to eat up an expensive Stereo modulator just for my occasional deck music.

So with that said,

I am quite sure that the stereo audio will travel out of the DSS coax output to my AV receiver, but there really is no way to get that stereo sound into the AV receivers Composite audio inputs???

I know I can get the F-to-Composite converter, but that is not going to give me both audio channels.

THANKS

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't think that you'll be able to get 2 analog audio channels into one coax. If you have digital out on your DSS receiver, the solution that I described above would yield the best results. If not, it might be worthwhile to get a new DSS receiver that has digital out -- they aren't very expensive.

Regards

BB

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you are talking about using your Ch3/4 output of your DSS, no it is not stereo it is only mono. :( You could feed it into a vcr and use its tuner to give you a line level signal for your AV amp. But for stereo, you would need a Channel Plus 56x5 series.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.