AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to connect a PS2 and Nintendo Wii to my XG, but the output is in composite and the XG only has an S-Video input. I have a few adapters in my giant bin of cables, but they all output to the 9pin S-video connector. Would something like this work okay or is there a better solution (besides a 1,500$ scaler
).

My Fusion5 HDTV has a 8 pin S-video input, so if there's a way to input into the tv tuner and then output to through the videocard, that would be quite amazing
. I'll have to look into that unless someone knows by any chance.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Radio shack has those adapters as well. Depending on the projector, combining the two lines of the Svideo adapter won't work, it doesn't work on Ampros, haven't tried it with the NEC.

WHat XG model do you have? Some have transcoders built in, so you could get the component cables for the games and get a LOT better pix than the Svideo input.

·
Premium Member
17,325 Posts
I agree, component cables would be best.

The Fusion card in your PC might be worth a try, since you already have it. The manual is very clear on using it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvico /forum/post/0

Support analog Video Signal Capture

You can Captures analog video signal (Composite and SVHS) and convert it to VCD/ SVCD/ DVD format. This feature cannot be supported depending on product.

S-Video IN, Composite IN (Lite/Home model is not supported)

VIDEO-IN: For external video sources. (5 RT gold only)

FusionHDTV 5 RT Lite is not supporting the external input like s-video or composite.

But I don't know if the capture preview window can be viewed full screen, or if it would be scaled by your PC.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its the XG1100, so no component input.

Curt what do you mean by combining the two lines of the S-Video adapter? Are you referring to the composite to S-video adapter I linked? Would the adapter work? (I kind of have a craving to play some racing games on a huge screen right now).

I would try the HDTV card, but for some reason the S-video in has only 8 pins whereas all the outputs have 9 pins??? Sorry, I don't know too much about composite and S-Video. Such antiquated technology was only widely used when I

was in diapers

I've been trying to avoid getting a transcoder, but it looks like I might as well get something that will take component and output to RGB. I absolutely hate not being able to use something just because of a cable

Thanks guys

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
THe adapter in your link is literally the same (more or less) as an audio Y cord. you're combining the base b/w signal with the chroma signal which runs on a separate cable in an Svideo cable. As I said, the Ampros won't lock to that combined signal, the BArcos will, not sure about the NECs. Try it, you won't hurt anything.

Since your NEC doesn't have a transcoder in it, get a cheapie transcoder, the AA 9A65 works well, and run 480p component into it, then 480p out to the projector.

And correction, an Svideo cable only has 4 pins, 2 grounds, the chroma pin and the b/w signal pin.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I've had it running up to 720p with most sources. I figgered you didn't want to spend a lot given the Svideo input adapter, so I didn't recommend the 1365..

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my cable box outputs in component, so I could use that with a transcoder and be able to get the encrypted channels. Then I could sell the Fusion HDTV5 to balance the cost. I'll have to discuss it with my parents
. (only 16...)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The composite to S-video adapter from radioshack worked for future reference. However, the image was really bad...bad enough that I crashed my motorcycle into the river in GTA:Vice City
. Even text that was 2" tall was hard to read.

I think I'm going to end up buying a Moome DVI/Component input card for the XG since thats about the same price as a transcoder and I think it will have a better picture since its digital? I shouldn't have problems installing it since I've built countless computers. I imagine its the same concept as a PCI/AGP slot.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
No, I ab'ed RGBHV vs DVI at 1080p, 72Hz and saw no difference. Much to my surprise. BUt that Moome card is nice to have, so I agree, go with it. Might be a while before he ships, so check with him..

·
Premium Member
17,325 Posts
The moome component/dvi card will really open up your connectivity options, but it doesn't scale, so your wii will still be 480p. You'll also have to buy a component cable for your wii, and I get the feeling that your toy budget is already tight.

So I'll recommend another option...

Try something like the XGA Theater. I have one of these from back when I had an ECP... it does a nice job upscaling composite and s-video up to 800x600 and 1024x768. And the output is HD15 (VGA), so you can use your current RGBHV input. It also has a TV/cable tuner and remote. It does not do component transcoding. I think I paid $109 for a new one 3 years ago. For example, there's one on ebay (110081281917) for $49. You'd get 768p (which is a great resolution for your XG) without having to buy overpriced component connectors for the wii.

The other low end device that works OK if you're on a tight budget...

Something like 320072958607 for $33.

It does composite, s-video, and component transcoding to HD15 (VGA), but only to 720x480p.

The vdigi is another cheap (~$50) transcoder. But it doesn't doesn't scale, nor does it do composite or s-video.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I'm still going to get the moome card since the net cost would be just a little more than the XGA theater (I plan on selling my HDTV tuner). I should have been more clear about the sources though; the main component/DVI source will be my HD cable box. The Wii and Xbox 360 are my friend's so they'll probably only be hooked up just a few times a month. Thanks for the info though.

Now just to check with moome...maybe it will only take 3 months

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem with my Sony 1000 Just go to Kmart, Walmart where ever and get a S video out for the Playstation.

I had the same problem and the 14 dollar adapter from radio shack worked great to hook up my ATARI. And yes I am careful not to leave PAC MAN up to long.

But anyway I bought a xbox/ play station adapter that replaces the composite out of the PS with a S video or Comp signal. Works great the picture isn't perfect but a heck of a lot better than comp.

·
Premium Member
17,325 Posts
This looks promising (at least as a cheap HD transcoder and s-video upscaler with analog outputs)

Video Inputs:

- Composite video input (RCA)

- S Video input (4PIN)

- YPbPr input (RCA)

- VGA input

AV/S-VIDEO/YPbPr input interface can be extended by using Mini cable so that the product can be connected with DVD, PS2 game machine etc. The product supports standard-definition and high-definition signal input (480I/ 480P/ 576I/ 576P/ 720P/ 1080I).

Video Output: D-SUB output (analog HD15 VGA)

VGA Output Resolutions:

- 800x600

- 1024x768

- 1280x1024

- 1440x900

Refresh rate up to 60Hz or 75Hz

Supports 4:3/16:9 picture aspect ratio

Special PIP function: window size and position are adjustable

http://www.kworldcomputer.com/produc.../TVBOX1440.htm

http://www.kworldcomputer.com/produc...images/001.pdf

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...825463&CatId=0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...MP=OTC-Froogle

For $12
(buy.com after rebates), I ordered one...
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...53&dcaid=17653
http://ak.buy.com/buy_assets/retail/...k_30kworld.pdf
http://ak.buy.com/buy_assets/retail/...k_15kworld.pdf

it might be perfect for the ECPs I gave to my neighbors.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow thanks Clarence! I think I'll get one too to hold me out while waiting for the moome card.

edit: Reseller ratings look a bit scary, but it looks like all the negative reviews are from paypal users so I'll just use a CC. The rebates are from the manufacturer of the transcoder so that eliminates some risk as well. I think you can use google checkout so the end cost will be $2.99

·
Premium Member
17,325 Posts
reseller ratings for buy.com look scary?! I've ordered probably 50 times from them... well over $1000... probably $2500 over the last 5 years. Never a single glitch or complaint.

I used google checkout about a dozen times in December (when it was $10 off $30 or $20 off $50), but now they've change it to $10 off your first order. I like it a lot... much better than having to type in your mailing info and CC# for every po-dunk online seller. Hopefully they become a serious competitor to paypal.

·
Premium Member
17,325 Posts
Yep...
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Buy

Maybe they've gotten too big and too powerful and have lost interest in the individual buyer? Or maybe people only submit a rating when they've got a complaint.

NewEgg gets a 9.82
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Newegg

They're one of my favorites.

Amazon.com gets a 5.66
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Newegg

I've had mixed results with them... but in probably 50 orders, they've disappointed me 2-3 times.

I always check all 3 of those stores when buying anything... HDDVD, video games, videocard, RAM, etc.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Newegg is probably my top...they get most of my hard earned allowance

Then I'll use amazon if its something newegg doesn't have (like headphones). The best part about amazon is the fact that you can order from some no-name shop through amazon, but with amazon's credibility. For instance, my friend ordered a wireless adapter from one of the stores on amazon and when he didn't receive the item, amazon refunded him the money.

I used to use Zipzoomfly as well because most of their items had free 2nd day shipping, but it seems they've run into some financial trouble lately and service has been lacking.

Anyways...I ordered the tuner so hopefully it will do well until moome has some XG DVI inputs available. It'll end up being 9$ after rebates.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.