AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...does anyone know how/the best way to compress a 50 gig Blu-ray disc to a 25 gig disc? I want to burn dual layer discs, but i'm not spending $50 for a dual layer Blu-ray. I can't seem to find anything as far as tutorials or anything...If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I know it's fairly new technology, but this sucks

~Vince

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
So you downloaded a 50gig movie on the Newsgroup and now you want to make a 'Backup' of it.... LOL good try trying to get the info here man..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have retail copies of over 100 blu-rays, big guy...I also have 3 blu-ray players & 2 homes...I would like to make BACKUPS of my discs if you must know so I don't have to always remember to bring them w/me...that's a little presumptious of you to think that i'm doing something illegal...I asked an honest question in an honest forum trying to get help...unfortunately, your post doesn't help me at all...thanks anyway

~Vince

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Why not just buy a second disc for the 2 or 3 titles actually worth backing up?

Save's you a lot of time and money.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I think you should forget about it for the next 6 months or so.

It is nowhere close to the DVDShrink simplicity as of now.

Diogen.

·
Premium Member
9,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogan2424 /forum/post/0

Hello...does anyone know how/the best way to compress a 50 gig Blu-ray disc to a 25 gig disc? I want to burn dual layer discs, but i'm not spending $50 for a dual layer Blu-ray. I can't seem to find anything as far as tutorials or anything...If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I know it's fairly new technology, but this sucks

~Vince

I think the best way to achieve this is to re-encode to Windows Media (VC1) using the WM Encoder. Use the two-pass option if you want best results.

Should be able to fit the main movie on a 25 Gig or 30 Gig disc.

As far as I know, there are no tools for next-gen discs that can take the whole menu structure and all extras and re-code them, like for DVDs - so the main movie would probably have to be your goal. Although the existing tool does let you choose which BD audio track is preserved before you take it to WM.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks /forum/post/0

That's probably what i'll wind up doing...I was just hoping someone had figured out a way to do it...I was advised that CyberLink PowerBackup might work but I haven't tried it...i'll make an attempt later tonite...if anyone has any suggestions, please post

~Vince

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Until the DL blanks go below $10, this is too much hassle. The BD disks are the best scratch proof media I've dealt with and should be almost indestructible. Otoh, I have archived a few disks onto HDDs. The best bet is the 500GB HDD.

Also, most 50GB DL disks have

But you'll have to write your own BDMV authoring. Existing authoring apps handle only mpeg2.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 /forum/post/0

Until the DL blanks go below $10, this is too much hassle. The BD disks are the best scratch proof media I've dealt with and should be almost indestructible. Otoh, I have archived a few disks onto HDDs. The best bet is the 500GB HDD.

Also, most 50GB DL disks have

But you'll have to write your own BDMV authoring. Existing authoring apps handle only mpeg2.

I agree...I have no idea on what I can remove from the blu-ray file structure & it still be playable...i'm not at point where I could write an authoring program, but I will look into it...I find it hard to believe that there isn't a relatively painless way of compressing the "STREAM" folder...hopefully, there will be a DVDShrink-like application for Blu-ray

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/0

I think the best way to achieve this is to re-encode to Windows Media (VC1) using the WM Encoder. Use the two-pass option if you want best results.

Should be able to fit the main movie on a 25 Gig or 30 Gig disc.

As far as I know, there are no tools for next-gen discs that can take the whole menu structure and all extras and re-code them, like for DVDs - so the main movie would probably have to be your goal. Although the existing tool does let you choose which BD audio track is preserved before you take it to WM.

rdjam,

i'm going to have to look into WM encoder...have you used it much? would I be able to still keep 1 uncompressed pcm audio track? that would be pretty sweet...

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

Quote:

That's probably what i'll wind up doing...I was just hoping someone had figured out a way to do it...I was advised that CyberLink PowerBackup might work but I haven't tried it...i'll make an attempt later tonite...if anyone has any suggestions, please post

~Vince

Sorry dude, it's just that the way you wrote it, it seemed like someone who downloaded and wanted to shrink and burn.

But give it time, price will drop one day. I mean in 6 month price of the burner alone dropped almost 1/2 prices.. so.., the format is new too so there's not alot of tool to go by

·
Registered
4,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks /forum/post/0

True, right now discs are expensive enough to justify the purchase of a second copy of whatever movie.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Could always just put it on a series of dl dvd's, if it is really cheap backup you are after.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki /forum/post/0

Sorry dude, it's just that the way you wrote it, it seemed like someone who downloaded and wanted to shrink and burn.

But give it time, price will drop one day. I mean in 6 month price of the burner alone dropped almost 1/2 prices.. so.., the format is new too so there's not alot of tool to go by

well if all he wanted to do was burn a downloaded file, all he would need is nero or some other burner. all the BD rips I've seen have been reencoded to

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki /forum/post/0

it's all good...I could've been more descriptive in what I wanted to do...hopefully, sooner than later there will be more options available...

·
Registered
479 Posts

Quote:

I would like to make BACKUPS of my discs if you must know so I don't have to always remember to bring them w/me...that's a little presumptious of you to think that i'm doing something illegal...I asked an honest question in an honest forum trying to get help...unfortunately, your post doesn't help me at all...thanks anyway

I'm not trying to flame / insult or anything, just wanted to point out that for anyone who lives in the United States, making backups *is* illegal - regardless of if we think we *should* be allowed to or not.

Making a backup of a commercial BD or HD DVD you already own requires breaking the AACS encryption, which is illegal under the DMCA.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by obispo21 /forum/post/0

I'm not trying to flame / insult or anything, just wanted to point out that for anyone who lives in the United States, making backups *is* illegal - regardless of if we think we *should* be allowed to or not.

Making a backup of a commercial BD or HD DVD you already own requires breaking the AACS encryption, which is illegal under the DMCA.

Thanks. I'm not concerned about it, personally. I understand why it's technically illegal. I only have copies of movies i've purchased. I'm not trying to debate anyone on this. We're all adults here & your business is your business...if this offends anyone in some way, please move along...i'm also not trying flame/insult anyone...I was just looking for some help if possible from the best place I know...

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by obispo21 /forum/post/0

Unjust laws are made to be broken

Though, I hate movie pirates, arrh! Backups should be perfectly within our rights though.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckshop /forum/post/0

well if all he wanted to do was burn a downloaded file, all he would need is nero or some other burner. all the BD rips I've seen have been reencoded to

1 - 20 of 22 Posts