AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on installing the valves for my bar area sink. I plan to have water to the fridge, so I got a 3/8" to 1/4" reducer to connect to the hose. My question is, the reducer came with a like rigid fiber washer thing. Do I want to use that when I screw things on, or is it better to use the compression washer thing that was under the 3/8" nut. I was thinking it might be better and wont wear out and possibly leak down the road the way I can see the fiber washer doing. Thanks, I know a picture is worth a thousand words, so if it would help because I am explaining things badly, I can certainly produce some photos.

thanks guys

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yep a pic would help.

Only comment I can make at this point is that the original compression washer was used to seat tightly within a different fitting than your reducer. Also, some may say that once a compression washer has been used (eg: tightened down) it has assumed the form of the fitting it was used within. This may result in the original washer not seating properly within the reducer.

I'm not a plumber by any stretch, but have dealt with my fair share of compression fittings while doing various maintenance gigs. Early on in my maintenance career, I tried to get things done quickly, and cut corners like reusing the nut/washer from compression fittings. 50% of the time they leaked, and I got sick of being bitched out by the millwrights, so I stopped cutting corners.

As long as you bought the appropriate fitting for the application. There is no reason to believe the parts that came with the new fitting will fail. IMO I'd just use the fiber washer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.