AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Compromised 7.1.2 vs compromised 5.1.4 help

Hi, searched around and didn't find any conclusive info regarding this. My optimization strategy places an importance of say 75% for 1st row, 25% for 2nd row.

I am currently running a 7.1.2 Atmos system with the follow config
1) 2 rows of seats, 2nd row is elevated but nearly smack against the rear wall
2) surround speakers are slightly back of 1st row, but more or less still within specs
3) back surround are elevated more than the specs, prob closer to 1.4x instead of the max recommended 1.25x. for 2nd row the rear surrounds are almost like surround left and right but facing forward.
4) I am running TM for the atmos height, but for the 1st row, they are slightly backward of 100 degrees (maybe 105 degrees). Can't move to 100 degrees as there's sth on the wall.

Currently the sound is good enough, I feel that ambiance is good all around for the 1st row, but given the slightly backward placement of the TM, there seems to be sth missing between the front and TM speakers.

However, given these compromises, I am thinking of doing the following instead:
1) Moving the surround back slightly higher, pointing down slightly, repurpose as rear height
2) Moving the TM forward, repurpose as TF.

I'm hoping that by placing RH instead of TR, I will not miss my surround back as much. However I have not been able to find definitively whether by doing so,
a) will DSU downmix some of the back surround info on a 7.1 mix to RH + surround, or as I read somewhere merely mix it to surround L/R, meaning I will likely lose the rear surround sensation?
b) will my 2nd row sound better or worse, given that I originally had a properly placed TM for this with a out-of-spec rear surround, but now have properly placed TF, with out-of-spec rear-heights. I'm suspecting it might sound worse since I will now not only have poor surround, but also now degraded height sound.

Also, given THX comments on 7.1.2 vs 5.1.4, I am a bit torn in between, and I'm not really willing to spend all the effort to reconfigure unless I believe theres a good chance it will sound better.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Hi, searched around and didn't find any conclusive info regarding this. My optimization strategy places an importance of say 75% for 1st row, 25% for 2nd row.

I am currently running a 7.1.2 Atmos system with the follow config
1) 2 rows of seats, 2nd row is elevated but nearly smack against the rear wall
2) surround speakers are slightly back of 1st row, but more or less still within specs
3) back surround are elevated more than the specs, prob closer to 1.4x instead of the max recommended 1.25x. for 2nd row the rear surrounds are almost like surround left and right but facing forward.
4) I am running TM for the atmos height, but for the 1st row, they are slightly backward of 100 degrees (maybe 105 degrees). Can't move to 100 degrees as there's sth on the wall.

Currently the sound is good enough, I feel that ambiance is good all around for the 1st row, but given the slightly backward placement of the TM, there seems to be sth missing between the front and TM speakers.

However, given these compromises, I am thinking of doing the following instead:
1) Moving the surround back slightly higher, pointing down slightly, repurpose as rear height
2) Moving the TM forward, repurpose as TF.

I'm hoping that by placing RH instead of TR, I will not miss my surround back as much. However I have not been able to find definitively whether by doing so,
a) will DSU downmix some of the back surround info on a 7.1 mix to RH + surround, or as I read somewhere merely mix it to surround L/R, meaning I will likely lose the rear surround sensation?
b) will my 2nd row sound better or worse, given that I originally had a properly placed TM for this with a out-of-spec rear surround, but now have properly placed TF, with out-of-spec rear-heights. I'm suspecting it might sound worse since I will now not only have poor surround, but also now degraded height sound.

Also, given THX comments on 7.1.2 vs 5.1.4, I am a bit torn in between, and I'm not really willing to spend all the effort to reconfigure unless I believe theres a good chance it will sound better.

Thanks.
Couple of things...

Your "a)" assumption is correct, if you don't have Rears assigned, those sounds get mixed into the surround channels, they will not get mixed into the RH.

With that being said, I understand the compulsion to get the best possible experience for the 2nd row, but unless "you" sit there for screen distance variance, you need to be honest with yourself about how critical the listeners in the second row will really be. Most of the time, esp if its guests, they are so overwhelmed by our insanity that they either won't notice any minor discrepancy or just won't care, esp not as much as you.

Honestly, the first thing I would try is an experiment, temporarily repurposed your Rears as Front Heights (use boxes, temp shelving, anything that's easy, then simply use the FH/TM configuration to see what you think, this will at least give you something to compare with. I personally like the accuracy of the sound matching screen movement (vertical and diagonal) that FH's give you.

Then decide if you think Rears or possibly RH may be better or worth trying.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Couple of things...

Your "a)" assumption is correct, if you don't have Rears assigned, those sounds get mixed into the surround channels, they will not get mixed into the RH.

With that being said, I understand the compulsion to get the best possible experience for the 2nd row, but unless "you" sit there for screen distance variance, you need to be honest with yourself about how critical the listeners in the second row will really be. Most of the time, esp if its guests, they are so overwhelmed by our insanity that they either won't notice any minor discrepancy or just won't care, esp not as much as you.

Honestly, the first thing I would try is an experiment, temporarily repurposed your Rears as Front Heights (use boxes, temp shelving, anything that's easy, then simply use the FH/TM configuration to see what you think, this will at least give you something to compare with. I personally like the accuracy of the sound matching screen movement (vertical and diagonal) that FH's give you.

Then decide if you think Rears or possibly RH may be better or worth trying.

Big +1 on the bold part of your quote:)

My system is built around my MLP:D
My wife sitting next to me, is not as critical for the sound She get, at first, I was trying to get two good spot instead of one.
Then She told me, to make it perfect for my self, since I am the one really into the perfect sound, so from two seat in the front, we went to three, my seat in the perfect center:D

Like you said, most guess are just flabbergasted when the few come over:D
And most of the time, on the first visit, I give-up my sweet spot:(
If they come again, to the peanut gallery they go (the back row):eek::D

Ray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts