AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local CrapUSA yesterday and noticed that they had two projectors setup. A Litebird PJ350 and an Epson PowerLite 50c. They were both setup showing Star Wars, Episode I on adjacent walls.

I wasn't aware that they even sold fps. If they are now showing them off for movies instead of just business applications, then how long before stores like Best Buy and Circuit City start selling them?

I ask this now because this was one of the arguments in the HTM thinks we are nuts thread. They said that we are just a small niche of the market and they catered mostly to the high end side of the curve which they think is bigger. My argument was that they completely ignore the other 90% of the market which is the Joe six packs. Most of which never would even consider a FP because they believe it costs too much. Now if Best Buy starts showing them and what they can do and more people end up actually buying them then that creates a larger market for those business projector companies and should even create more competition which means lower price for us, hopefully on lamps too. This should also create more lower cost HT specific projectors.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting to see that in of all stores, crapusa, blech. (can't you tell I used to work there. :))

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Interesting. I don't think that their prices would have been all that hot. It would be nice to see if the market would boom should Best Buy/Circuit City start selling projectors, but I doubt it would happen. The high end Home Theater companies (Seleco, Dwin, Runco, etc...) would never sell to such places. They concentrate on the custom install business, which BB and CC do not really get into. They could start selling business pj's, but they would get crushed by all of the internet businesses.

Just my 2c.

Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yes the prices were outrageous but I think all retail is outrageous anyway. :) I think the biggest part of this is that more people will actually see that projectors can be used for movies instead of just showing powerpoint presentations at work. Even if few people buy these from local retailers it still could open up the market to more people and e-tailers will start selling more. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
CompUSA had these FP more than a 5 months. Friend of mine bout Epson from there 5 months ago.So I'm not surprised.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Fry's is now selling several projectors and this weekend has an SVGA DLP model on sale in store for $1899.

Not too shabby!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.