AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work for a compusa and we just got info that shortly we'll be receiving a philips lcos set along with dlp's and lcd's. Should be interesting. Hopefully the computer market will continue to merge with the tv market.

· Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RelDudeGOP
I work for a compusa and we just got info that shortly we'll be receiving a philips lcos set along with dlp's and lcd's. Should be interesting. Hopefully the computer market will continue to merge with the tv market.
It should open up yet another option for us consumers. I just hope that CompUSA's policy of never having enough registers open will be addressed.

2,436 Posts
Did they mention getting the JVC D-ILA?

· Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no mention of the JVC

The new tv's that should be arriving include the new line of samsung dlp's, panasonic dlp and lcd sets, panasonic projo's, panny plasmas, philips lcos, and we also are going to start carrying 20"-35" lcd flat panels

We're slowly trying to get into this business. Alot of people don't think of compusa as carrying tv's but we have a pretty decent selection. Any other questions???

· Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by NVboy
It should open up yet another option for us consumers. I just hope that CompUSA's policy of never having enough registers open will be addressed.
haha...yeh we have limited registers but if we need them we always open up more...and when we ring up tv's and other big item purchases to make it easier for the consumer we usually bypass the line and ring them out at customer service

· Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RelDudeGOP
I remember back when CompUSA actually sold computers - it was quite the store.

CompUSA is just as bad as the auto parts chains that are now motorcycle and ATV shops.

If I want home theater stuff, I'll go to a home theater store.

CompUSA is now a half-assed computer store and a half-assed home theater shop. They don't have enough selection of either one to be of much value anymore, but that's just my opinion - I could be wrong.

· Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i partly agree with you on the home theater part. They still are the place to get computers and their salesman know more than their competitors. The computer selection is the best around. Now, yeh i know that their HT is somewhat half assed but its growing and should be great. They have great ideas that should be showing up shortly in the stores

· Registered
32,174 Posts
I suppose it's a place to buy computers if you buy such things at retail. Generally, the way to buy computers is on the internet, however.

I think CompUSA is dreadful, maybe the worst technology retailer in America.

Just MHO.

· Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha deplorable isn't even the word. Corporate is getting paid to play a dvd full of advertisements on it in a regular non-progressive dvd player so it can be shown on all tv's. It's gotten better over the weeks. We are allowed one HD feed from our Dish 811 receiver to be shown on the center plasma and it is ready to be shown on the other HDTV's if a customer requests. Just change the input to the component input. I always suggest to my GM that they should put the "DVD" on a DVHS or a computer hard drive so it can be HD. It'll get better...just give them time. In the mean time just change the inputs on the tv and watch HD!

· Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jfischer
I remember back when CompUSA actually sold computers - it was quite the store.

CompUSA is just as bad as the auto parts chains that are now motorcycle and ATV shops.

If I want home theater stuff, I'll go to a home theater store.

CompUSA is now a half-assed computer store and a half-assed home theater shop. They don't have enough selection of either one to be of much value anymore, but that's just my opinion - I could be wrong.
I couldn't have said it better myself....

And don't forget about that dreadful 14 days return policy....For that thing alone, and I do not shop at CompUSA anymore, irrespective of how attractive the price is on an item.

Can you imagine spending 5-6 Gees on a TV with only 14 days a s a return policy???? I know I won't do it.

Cheers, Sm.

· Premium Member
14,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doug_k
RelDudeGOP - out of curiosity, what sort of video feed to they run at compusa? I was in one of their NYC shops recently and the video was deplorable.
DISH network I believe

· Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeh it is the dish network with the 811 receiver but thats for the HD signal. For the analog signal playing on most of the tv's we have the dvd playing

· Registered
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SoundMeister
I couldn't have said it better myself.... And don't forget about that dreadful 14 days return policy....For that thing alone, and I do not shop at CompUSA anymore, irrespective of how attractive the price is on an item.

Can you imagine spending 5-6 Gees on a TV with only 14 days a s a return policy???? I know I won't do it.

Cheers, Sm.
Yeah, RelDudeGOP, can you push some of our feedback up the chain to your corporate fellas?

Those extended warranty practices, and those annoying rebates and they way they bounce the prices around drive me nuts. Then you get those salesguys that hang around at the register trying to pick up commissions, or put their sales ID sticker on products in the isles. I tried to buy an ac/dc power supply for my laptop the other day and discovered that the price was mislabeled- it was now $140, up from the $80 price tag. It's just incredibly, incredibly frustrating.

· Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I understand some of your complaints. We have some salesman who act the same way. Very selfish. It seems thats what commision sales do to people. They're not liked and may be on their way out. Anyway the warranty things are worth it on very few items but thats how stores like us make money. There is very little profit on computers and laptops and they need to sell those to make the money. Now with tv's and other HT equipment we aren't as pushy b/c of the huge margin made on them altho on those things I think the warranties are more worth it than on computers. They also are much cheaper than our competitors. for instance a 53" panasonic hdtv's 4 year in home is only $149. Not too bad.

· Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
as far as the prices jumping around thats due to the old system in place at compusa's for tagging. It needs to be updated as the salesmen are the ones who tag. Unlike most stores we don't have seperate people to do that so it's much more difficult to get done.

· Registered
3,740 Posts
Not to mention CompUSA's apparent mistreatment of macs. I can't walk into any CompUSA and not see half of the macs missing critical files and popular apps with the desktop and file structure in a total mess.

· Registered
2,917 Posts
CompUSA had a good plan in the beginning, but they have lost everything. I stopped by one last week to pick up a new power supply. They had about 4 different models, 95% of which were all the same(generic CompUSA 250 watt). The selection they carry is severely limited in scope. I suppose it would be okay for your average shopper, but those who are looking for something specific would be disappointed. I use places such as Newegg for all my PC needs now as a direct result of CompUSA not having much of anything.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.