AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really not up to building an HTPC, but I would like to hold off on purchasing a new DVD player until there are some better choices on DVI equipped players. My computer (an IBM) does a decent job of playing DVD movies on its own monitor. It is near to where the PJ will be. My questions:

1. Can I simply connect the S-video output of my computer's graphics adapter (an nVidia GeForce2 GTS Pro 4X AGP) to the S-video input on the PJ (a NEC HT1000)?.

2. Would I connect the sound from the "digital out" of my Creative Soundblaster Live 4.1 card to my receiver? Or would I instead go directly from the computer's DVD drive, which I believe has an unused digital output (two pins)?

3. Would it make sense to buy a different graphics adapter in order to take advantage of the DVI connection? IBM has a 64MB NVIDIA Quadro4 200 NVS LP/ATX VGA or DVI-I Dual Head for $125 -- which fits the low profile AGP slot on my computer. I suppose if I looked, I'd find even better choices (e.g., with a TV tuner), but remember, this is only a temporary measure.

4. Alternatively, am I over my head? I do have an inexpensive Samsung DVD player I could use, which has an S-video output, but I was planning on using that in another room.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Frankly, I hate to say this, but the easiest thing may just to buy another DVD player. You can get them for like fifty bucks these days.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Grampa,

Check out the Bravo D1 dvd player. If your display has a dvi input, you can benefit from upscaling to 720p or 1080i on your dvds. This unit is amazingly low priced especially considering what it does. Another possibility would be the Samsung HD931 (or is it 930?). It does the same thing for just a tad more $ .

Paul

·
Registered
106 Posts
With a PJ of the capabilities of the HT1000 you very definately do not want to be using the S video input if you can get a higher resolution/bandwidth connection to work.

Doesn't the HT1000 have RGB inputs? If so couldn't you get up and running with a VGA to RGB breakout cable. This would be less espensive than a transcoder to component video and could avoid a video card upgrade for only temporary use. I don't know whwether you need RGBHV, RGsB etc. but it should be trivial to find out from the manual. If the GeForce card has a resolution approximating the 1024x576 wide mode of the PJ you should get pretty nice results from most any SW DVD player.

The audio should work if the SB output is S/PDIF (isn't it a 5.1 output, not 4.1?, I know the SB live! Platinum is 5.1) but may need a little SW setup/tinkering to get things syncing up right. Anyhow any decent 75 ohm coax cable with RCA connector should work fine.

Otherwise for the price of a transcoder you might as well go for the D1 at 200 bucks and use the DVI connection.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Definitely don't use the S-Video out if you don't have to. I am assuming that your PJ has a VGA input. Why don't u just go directly from your VGA port on the soundcard to the PJ?

As far as sound goes, you should be fine going from the digital out on a 4.1 card to your receiver, provided you have the right cable. You will have to work w/ your soundcard settings to make sure it's doing pass-through of the digital signal to your receiver.....should be a simple button you toggle.

Finally, stick w/ your existing vid card if it works for you. Unless you are doing some HD content, it should be fine.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I did look at those DVD players, which is why I'm seeking another solution. There are only three players that currently have a working DVI output: the Bravo D1 has unacceptable lockup and quality issues; the Samsung 931 will not pass 4:3 material properly; the Momitsu has some of the same problems as the D1 but with the added complications of having the dealer in Hong Kong. I'm sure that there will be other alternatives soon, but in the meantime, I'd like to use what I have.

The HT1000 does have VGA input, but of course the VGA output of my current video card is being used for the computer monitor. That's why I was looking at the dual head card I mentioned above. That has the added advantage of also supporting DVI.

My other alternatives are S-video from the computer or my other DVD player, which is also S-video.

The PJ arrives on Friday or Monday, so the easiest thing is just to try it.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.