AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Reserved for listing helpful resources suggested on this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Hi guys, I'm hoping to gather some tips for newbs like myself. I will not be at all insulted by simple answers.  If there are some good resources you can refer me to please feel free to suggest them as I'm here to learn and "don't know what I don't know".

 

Here's my situation.  I'd like to use audio files stored on a networked computer (and/or affiliated HD, I don't know enough to even ask the right questions
).

 

I have a small collection of ripped CDs but poor outcomes from my old Windows XT desktop using WMP and iTunes-there seems to be permanent short gaps/skips in some files (that may be due to the old DVD drive or who knows) and others that occur randomly when I'm multitasking that may be due to lack of RAM (though I have 8MB) or who knows. 

 

But I'm starting fresh with a new Lenovo Entertainment Windows 8 laptop (Pentium I5, 8MB RAM/1TB storage) and would like advice so I can get good quality playback including use of HiRes files.  My first objective is stereo out via usb to a soon-to-arrive Emotiva XDA-2 digital pre/pro (up to 24/192 PCM only with asyncr processing option) to an Emtiva UPA-2 amp to some hot soon-to-arrive Kef LS 50 desktop monitors in my home office. 

 

So here's a few specific questions I need help with:

 

Would I now simply re-rip them using the laptop's drive? Should I use WMP?  Should I select Win Med Lossless or wav losssless or what?

 

 

 

Later I'd like to be able to access the files over my LAN to my main stereo/MC system and hopefully expand to use of HiRes 5.1 files. Currently I have a networked Denon AVR-A100/4311. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,385 Posts
I would suggest using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and ripping to FLAC. You can do some googling for tutorials. Hydrogenaudio site is a good place to start.


For playback and library management, I use Foobar2000. If I were looking at other options, Jriver would be a strong contender. To fully exploit the potential of Foobar2000, it takes some work. It is very customizable, and there are tons of plug-ins available. But out of the box, it is pretty basic (though adequate).


Fortunately it's all software from here, so you can try lots of things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
+1 on Baniels' response.


EAC, rip to FLAC.


For playback and library management, I use Twonky Media Server.


My files reside on a eSATA external raid array (4x2 TB in raid 5, yielding 6TB of storage). I have 1.5 TB in FLAC 16/44, Flac 24/192 and even DSD files.

With a minor tweak in the Twonky config files, I can stream DSD now.


The PC and the Raid are downstairs in the office. The Oppo is upstairs in the living room.

I have a wifi extender upstairs, from where I connect to my Oppo via ethernet.


I am able to stream all my audio content over this network and browse through Twonky on my TV screen.


Happy to answer any questions I can (it took me a while to get to this place).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,385 Posts
I'm also using Twonky to stream to an Oppo, flac stereo and multichannel up to 24-192. I use it for video too. Foobar is just when I'm accessing on the computer.


Pvanosta, I'd like to hear more about DSD via Twonky. Is that bitstream or is there a PCM conversion?


Edit: I found your post in the Oppo DLNA thread. I will try this out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
No conversion.

It's a simple edit in a config file for Twonky and now the Oppo can 'see' DSD files and play them (DSD64, not the higher ones).

YMMV but it works for me.


The file you need to edit is "filescanner-extended-formats.txt"


This should be a good starting point

Adding these could/should help you be able to stream them

though metadata scanning is probably not going to happen



dff,audio/x-dff,M,generic

dsf,audio/x-dsf,M,generic


edit filescanner-extended-formats.txt like this, save it, restart twonky server



# Support for arbitrary file extensions

# File Format: One extension per row

# Row format:

# file extension,

# MIME type,

# content type (M|P|V),

# scanner(generic|mp3|mp4|aac|amr|aif|wma|wmv|ogg|jpg|tif|png|bmp|mpg|mkv)

# if a file format shares the same meta-data format as an existing format

# then set the scanner field accordingly, otherwise set to generic

# Example: raw,image/raw,P,generic

#

dff,audio/x-dff,M,generic

dsf,audio/x-dsf,M,generic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thnx, guys.  I'll read on those topics.  First question: Twonky manager or server?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

 
Originally Posted by baniels  /t/1504965/computer-audio-basics#post_24061137


I would suggest using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and ripping to FLAC. You can do some googling for tutorials. Hydrogenaudio site is a good place to start.


For playback and library management, I use Foobar2000. If I were looking at other options, Jriver would be a strong contender. ..
 
Originally Posted by pvanosta  /t/1504965/computer-audio-basics#post_24061198


+1 on Baniels' response.


EAC, rip to FLAC...

 
Guys, thnx this is good stuff, went to Hydrogenaudio but I guess I'm looking for more of a tutorial than threads and wikis as this seems really over my head and I think the learning curve is steep for someone with little computer and digital processing knowledge like me.  So I googled and found this resource

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52398   that lists some step-by-step guides

and also found http://www.calonet.org/eac-ripping-guide/

 

 

I also looked at CueTools but much jargon is again being thrown about and I feel equally over my head so I'll look for tutorials as well..

 

I'm also thinking about  http://www.easyaudiocopy.com/faq.htm

cuz it sounds simple, though it will cost me $30.  Any down side to it? Equal quality It would still work well w/ Foobar for ex.? 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

^Hey Keith!  Interesting suggestion. I'll be listening very nearfield so have only thought briefly about DSPRC and/or room treatments. Right now I'm muddling through ripping options (yikes, bit-perfect copies?) and Twonky/other options to serve it up.  First priority is getting the music flowing more easily as right now I'm spinning shiny discs in the new laptop's drive and I'm still awaiting the speakers. So I've got  laptop connected via USB to the EMO  XDA-2. Listening to the CDs playing through the EMO's built-in headphone amp sounds great with the upsampling/asynch processing mode on through my Sony MDR-7506 cans.  I don't really like having them on for hours but the clarity and detail is really, really  impressive... I may have to explore more high-end comfy cans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind  /t/1504965/computer-audio-basics#post_24084578

 

^Hey Keith!  Interesting suggestion. I'll be listening very nearfield so have only thought briefly about DSPRC and/or room treatments. Right now I'm muddling through ripping options (yikes, bit-perfect copies?) and Twonky/other options to serve it up.  First priority is getting the music flowing more easily as right now I'm spinning shiny discs in the new laptop's drive and I'm still awaiting the speakers. So I've got  laptop connected via USB to the EMO  XDA-2. Listening to the CDs playing through the EMO's built-in headphone amp sounds great with the upsampling/asynch processing mode on through my Sony MDR-7506 cans.  I don't really like having them on for hours but the clarity and detail is really, really  impressive... I may have to explore more high-end comfy cans.
 

Interesting stuff. I am about to rip over 1000 CDs to hard drive soon- I'm just going to rip them to WAV files. Disc space is cheap and there is no quality loss with a WAV file, and it is easy. My ludicrously expensive Naim Audio CD player is to be retired after years of faithful service. I am going for convenience. And the ability to make my own playlists will be good to.  I have vaguely toyed with adding Dirac Live to my 2ch music system but have come to no definitive conclusions as yet.

 

I've found that open backed headphones like my Sennheisers suit me better than closed back designs and enable me to listen longer before SES (Sweaty Ear Syndrome) starts to bug me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

^Wow, that's a huge project! 

 

I was tending to the conclusion that it makes sense at this point for me to do the same, rip to wav files.

 

Yeah these HPs are VG for use in my studio to wear as monitors while recording and decent overall, but shopping for new cans could be a XMas break project. What Senn model r u using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind  /t/1504965/computer-audio-basics#post_24085022

 

^Wow, that's a huge project! 

 

I was tending to the conclusion that it makes sense at this point for me to do the same, rip to wav files.

 

Yeah these HPs are VG for use in my studio to wear as monitors while recording and decent overall, but shopping for new cans could be a XMas break project. What Senn model r u using?
 

HD 580. I think they are discontinued now and replaced by the 600 model which is probably sonically similar. Another great thing with the 580s is that you can pretty much entirely rebuild them as Sennheiser sell all the parts separately - so they have a near-infinite life :)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top