AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dedicated Mac Mini connected to the Oppo 105 asynchronous USB port via a 1 meter AQ Coffee cable, but then dropped the ball last year when an HD Tracks purchase would not download. What computer audio software would you recommend? The Mini is connected to our WiFi network and shows up on the iMac in the same room. We also have an unused iPad.

db

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have Amarra Symphony with IRC. The Amarra software, buggy in earlier versions, is pretty well sorted out recently. The addition of IRC (Impulse Response Correction) from Dirac is a major plus. Using a microphone and following the program's instructions, IRC sends a series of test tones from the speakers to the listening position (miked) and generates "filters" that correct both the frequency response and the time/arrival errors at different frequencies. The result is similar to a large upgrade in your system. I have no affiliation with the company, but you can read about this here:

http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/amarrasymphony_irc

Highly recommended.

Lee

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you are on a budget you can try JRiver audio player on your Mac. They have 30 day trial period. They added integer mode recently and it brings JRiver SQ on par with another excellent player Audirvana+.

I have both and I like them both but JRiver's ability to manage your audio collection and it's playback customisation is just plain awesome. Another added benefit of jRiver is the remote control app on iOS devices (iPad, iPhone); also best in class. Using JRiver Remote App you can run your Mac mini headless (without a direct connection to a monitor or TV).

·
Registered
101 Posts
iTunes is a reasonable option. The primary limitation (if you care) is that it doesn't automatically match the sampling frequency with the output frequency, so it won't output bit-perfect unless you manually set it to match in Audiio MIDI Setup, and then restart iTunes every time you go to play something with a different (e.g., higher) sampling frequency.

For $10,
solves this problem, running in conjunction with iTunes.

My favorite is Audirvana Plus , which offers some other features as well. Its price has crept up to $74, but I would still buy it.

Both of these can be used with Apple's free Remote.app, (Audirvana in integrated mode), which should allow you to make use of the iPad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts