AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I playback Blu Ray quality media stored on my desk top hard drive it comes out a bit washed out.

The audio is top notch and the resolution is correct but although the picture seems to be "all there", it is just a bit dim and washed out.

I noticed on Gravity and yesterday Blue Jasmine especially the scene where Jasmine is in front of the flower store.

This scene is made to show off the color palette of the flowers and the golden sunshine of the day.

It was dim compared to the original. Are others having this issue?

It would seem that although it is a copy there is a discernible difference between original and copy.

Next question what can be done to make the copy closer to the original?

Of course I have various settings on my display device to alter the picture and possibly that is all that is required.

Next question why are they different and can I employ something to reduce the differences between the two in regards to picture brightness and depth?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been informed it is the file size that is the culprit.

I will leave it at that.

Show this thread closed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It may not be the file size. It may be related to whether you are running full dynamic range(0-255) or the video range(16-240). Take a look at that first. By default, computers use full dynamic range and videos are coded with the 16-240 scale(16 being black and 240 being white).

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
It may be related to whether you are running full dynamic range(0-255) or the video range(16-240). Take a look at that first. By default, computers use full dynamic range and videos are coded with the 16-240 scale(16 being black and 240 being white).

Hmm, never thought of that.

It is a possibility for sure,but how to check the computer?

Do I want 16-240 or 0-255?

I think I called this thread solved prematurely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts