AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

AVS folks here have practically built my HT setup for my basement. So I turn here for some advice on a ready-to-go-computer for my setup.

I've been reading up on the Dell 410 Zino and it seems good but wonder if a standard CPU would work as well.

Needs/wants/ don't need:

HDMI ready video card - not sure what to look for?

Streaming video (like MLB, other feeds)

Web browsing

Stream movies like Netflix (Im not a customer yet)

I don't have to have a small cpu, I have dedicated space for up to a tower

Wireless keyboard/mouse combo would be nice

I will be dedicated for my projector, Epson 8350 if that matters.

So for about $500 or so, can anyone point me in a good direction.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelli /forum/post/20802012

Hi All,

AVS folks here have practically built my HT setup for my basement. So I turn here for some advice on a ready-to-go-computer for my setup.

I've been reading up on the Dell 410 Zino and it seems good but wonder if a standard CPU would work as well.

Needs/wants/ don't need:

HDMI ready video card - not sure what to look for?

Streaming video (like MLB, other feeds)

Web browsing

Stream movies like Netflix (Im not a customer yet)

I don't have to have a small cpu, I have dedicated space for up to a tower

Wireless keyboard/mouse combo would be nice

I will be dedicated for my projector, Epson 8350 if that matters.

So for about $500 or so, can anyone point me in a good direction.

Thanks

Peter

I think with your requirements just about any CPU will do.

My suggestion would be to start by picking out a case you like that is of good quality and power supply. Also unless one of those Dell Zinos comes with a SSD I would shy away from it. The reason is because these small case PCs generate a lot of heat in a small space, my gf has an older Asus media PC that she uses as her desktop an even though she doesn't do anything intensive on it nor does she use it for prolonged periods of time it is on it's second hard drive and this is starting to act up occasionally(relocated sectors).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.. I'll poke through those threads.. over 700 pages worth.

The Zino 410 is a revamp from the 400, 300 and I believe I read they address the heat issue. Not saying Dell is a great build either.

I used to build my own but I have lost touch of what is good and all the sources, software, etc.

I just thinking I could get a rack CPU, no monitor, etc. I have my office PC where I burn all my stuff and I don't do PC games.

So Zino came in the game... Any others?

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelli /forum/post/20802911

Thanks.. I'll poke through those threads.. over 700 pages worth.

The Zino 410 is a revamp from the 400, 300 and I believe I read they address the heat issue. Not saying Dell is a great build either.

I used to build my own but I have lost touch of what is good and all the sources, software, etc.

I just thinking I could get a rack CPU, no monitor, etc. I have my office PC where I burn all my stuff and I don't do PC games.

So Zino came in the game... Any others?

Thanks

Peter

I am not saying Zino in particular is prone to heat, all I am saying is that if you can get a way with using a bigger case then do that.

here are a couple of items to get you started, people will come in and suggest better alternatives to what I post but this is a start

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163166

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115078

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...M-_-19-115-078

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! But if I didn't want to build it....

What should I look for in a Built-PC that will run well on my HTPC..

Something that will not lag when watching streaming video, be able to utilize my projector with a 10'diag screen and also work well audio wise.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelli /forum/post/20803213

Something that will not lag when watching streaming video, be able to utilize my projector with a 10'diag screen and also work well audio wise.

Just about any modern PC will play bluray no problem and many will play 3d bluray no problem.

If you do not want to build that Zino might be a good choice, talk to Assassin, he might be able to build you a better alternative for similar money.

something like this might work well also
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3116038

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelli /forum/post/20803213

We build completely custom HTPCs. Send me a PM if interested.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelli /forum/post/20802911

It's a lot easier to assemble a working system now than it used to be.

And buying doesn't eliminate the problem of choosing and integrating software. That's where most of the time and effort is with an HTPC and you have to do that if you buy a Dell or HP or generic as well. You can buy a fully configured unit from a specialty source such as Assassin, or you might as well assemble your own and have a better sytstem, with the parts you actually need and want, before you start building your software setup.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chatting with assassin now..

So tell me about software needs?

Basics, non gamer.

Waiting on Assassin, he might have one to go out the door

But something like this is appealing...

I was looking at a few Newegg bundles and at $300 I have the entire setup minus software...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.715974

Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Model:R101-P-BK)

BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (Model:A880G+)

hec HP485D 485W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Cord Included (Model:HP485D Retail)

AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX925WFK4DGM (Model:HDX925WFK4DGM)

G.SKILL Value Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT (Model:F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT)

Seagate Barracuda Green ST1000DL002 1TB 5900 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Bare Drive -Bare Drive (Model:ST1000DL002)

Thermaltake A4022 92mm CPU Cooler (Model:A4022)

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelli /forum/post/20803734

Chatting with assassin now..

So tell me about software needs?

Basics, non gamer.

Waiting on Assassin, he might have one to go out the door

But something like this is appealing...

I was looking at a few Newegg bundles and at $300 I have the entire setup minus software...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.715974

Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Model:R101-P-BK)

BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (Model:A880G+)

hec HP485D 485W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Cord Included (Model:HP485D Retail)

AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX925WFK4DGM (Model:HDX925WFK4DGM)

G.SKILL Value Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT (Model:F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT)

Seagate Barracuda Green ST1000DL002 1TB 5900 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Bare Drive -Bare Drive (Model:ST1000DL002)

Thermaltake A4022 92mm CPU Cooler (Model:A4022)

You are missing an optical drive and that power supply is kind of crap, but with those components you can do everything except watch 3d

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcvictim /forum/post/20803754

You are missing an optical drive and that power supply is kind of crap, but with those components you can do everything except watch 3d

It won't bitstream HD audio. To me that's important but it might not be to some.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelli /forum/post/20803843

if it's important to you, it is to me
... especially streaming!

What's driving your sound? If you are using an AV receiver capable of HD Audio (or plan to add one in the future) then you will want something that bitstreams HD Audio over HDMI.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for the long update. I chatted with several guys through "pm's" here and was torn between building my own unit and or buy.

As I found out more and more, the off the rack dells, gateways, etc just wouldn't cut it. I didn't plan on a super computer that would shutdown the powergrid but I wanted something that displayed nice on my PJ and also got quality sound.

Then there is the software, holy smokes! I haven't even bit off the tip yet on all the stuff you can do. I am going through the tutorials and reading which way I want to go.

When computers came out, I got into building them.. It was fun and saved $$$ but that was 10 to 15yrs ago.. and having to relearn some stuff, I just didn't have all the time.

I ended up going with an Assasin HTPC .

Between the MANY emails, questions and patience these guys had with me.

I got their Deluxe model.. scraping up a few more bucks than I had.. I figured it was best investment once I get my whole gig up and running...

I just have to say, What a major relief it was to unpack this and hook up directly to my system. Right out of the box, I was able to do a few configs, get online and stream video at speed/sound I never knew existed.

My goal was to watch a competition in Scotland that is broadcasted live (bagpipes) and by far it was like I was sitting there. Years prior I tried my laptop and other pc's.. But this is no comparison.

Again, thanks to everyone here on the forum and especially to Assassin.. He went well beyond the normal customers service. I knew they were good to go when he said " I don't care if you buy from me, I just want you to have the right setup and knowledge for what you are looking for"... dam good!

-Peter

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelli /forum/post/20913609

Sorry for the long update. I chatted with several guys through "pm's" here and was torn between building my own unit and or buy.

As I found out more and more, the off the rack dells, gateways, etc just wouldn't cut it. I didn't plan on a super computer that would shutdown the powergrid but I wanted something that displayed nice on my PJ and also got quality sound.

Then there is the software, holy smokes! I haven't even bit off the tip yet on all the stuff you can do. I am going through the tutorials and reading which way I want to go.

When computers came out, I got into building them.. It was fun and saved $$$ but that was 10 to 15yrs ago.. and having to relearn some stuff, I just didn't have all the time.

I ended up going with an Assasin HTPC .

Between the MANY emails, questions and patience these guys had with me.

I got their Deluxe model.. scraping up a few more bucks than I had.. I figured it was best investment once I get my whole gig up and running...

I just have to say, What a major relief it was to unpack this and hook up directly to my system. Right out of the box, I was able to do a few configs, get online and stream video at speed/sound I never knew existed.

My goal was to watch a competition in Scotland that is broadcasted live (bagpipes) and by far it was like I was sitting there. Years prior I tried my laptop and other pc's.. But this is no comparison.

Again, thanks to everyone here on the forum and especially to Assassin.. He went well beyond the normal customers service. I knew they were good to go when he said " I don't care if you buy from me, I just want you to have the right setup and knowledge for what you are looking for"... dam good!

-Peter

Thanks for the feedback. It was a pleasure getting you into an easy to use HTPC. Glad we could help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts