AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a quality (if possible in this price point) solution for my computer desk front and center channels. I've looked over DIY options but want to look at out of the box solutions as well. Figure $300 for all three speakers. Desk is not made yet but will probably be ~6-7ft wide. Center will lay on its side and be under the monitor. Fronts can additionally be stand-mounted

Thanks for your thought!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I usually recommend Energy Take Classic 5 channel system ( $300 ) as an alternative to Creative or Klipsch PC systems. The center is small enough, at just over 4" tall, to fit under a typical PC monitor with telescoping stand. You'll need a receiver of some kind to power these. There are plenty of powered 2-channel + sub options but the cabinets are usually bigger because they have to include their own amps. I have a powered 2-channel + sub setup for the PC and find I don't need a center channel since I'm less than 3' from the speakers and sub. I use my system strictly for playing music while working on the computer or the occasional video on YouTube and verifying BD rips.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm running an older Harman Kardon AVR 7200 for the receiver, so not worried about power. I've got an older Phase Technology Power12B subwoofer in the back of the room, and two in ceiling speakers already. Just need the fronts to balance it out

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Yeah I agree about skipping the center. At a desk, you will only have one listening position and a good pair of bookshelves will create a phantom center well. Additionally, when you have a center laying on your desk, you are going to be getting a bunch of reflections and it will not sound good.

I would go with a pair of the NHT SuperOne 2.1 bookshelves, on sale for $125 each. What are you going to be powering the speakers with?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.