AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would prefer a pure stereo setup but with my triple monitor eyefinity setup and the speakers being so far off to the left and the right it just doesnt work. I have added a center channel that sits under the Center monitor and I absolutely love what it has done for directional sound. The soundstage now comes from directly in front of me while the FL and FR speakers are placed basically adjacent to my ears so I get awesome directional audio from games and what not. Audio comes from a Asus Zonar Essance STX optical out 2 channel PCM @ 44.z KHz. It goes to an older Sony Receiver and is decoded with Prologic IIx to 3.1 (5.1 with the surrounds disabled). I use a PC360 headset sometimes at night for gaming and for the mic.

I currently have a 3.1 setup that im going to be upgrading one piece at a time. I currently have

Sound Card: Asus Zonar STX

Center: Polk Audio Blackstone TL3

Front Stereo : Polk Audio Monitor II 30's

Reciever: Sony STRK840P

Sub: Sony 8'

What I want is to purchase 2 Polk Audio LsiM 703 bookshelf speakers for the front L/R. They use the same tweeter and are apparently timbre matched with my center channel TL3. The TL3 is the largest center I can fit due to the eyefinity setup. A center channel is a must as it has greatly improved overall sound quality and positioning which originally suffered due to the extremely wide placement of the front L/R speakers. My front L/R speakers are approx 2 ft from my ears. Im worried about such a large speaker (LsiM703) being to close to my listening position. It certainly isn't a near field speaker and the tweeter and woofers are separated by a good distance. Im not sure if at two feet the noise from both tweeter and woofers will have had time to merge and Ill end up with muddy unbalanced sound. Any thoughts?

Also any thoughts on a new sub. I used my Polk Audio DSW660wi just to see how it would sound and it is waaaayyyyyyyyyy to much sub for my setup. The sub barbarically sits on the ground right next to my chair (can be seen poking out at the bottom left of the picture) so im nearly sitting on top of it. With the DSW660 the bass was overpowering. Im thinking that a decent 10' sub would do nice but not sure what direction to go.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppinJ  /t/1523073/computer-eyefinity-speaker-setup-w-pics#post_24496628

Also any thoughts on a new sub. I used my Polk Audio DSW660wi just to see how it would sound and it is waaaayyyyyyyyyy to much sub for my setup. The sub barbarically sits on the ground right next to my chair (can be seen poking out at the bottom left of the picture) so im nearly sitting on top of it. With the DSW660 the bass was overpowering. Im thinking that a decent 10' sub would do nice but not sure what direction to go.

Did you run the setup on your receiver to set the subwoofer level? A 10, 12, or even 15 inch. The size shouldn't matter. If it's too much, turn it down.

Now it is possible that the placement of the sub interacted with room acoustics to over-emphasize certain frequencies. Could that have been the issue? If so, a new sub may not help with that either.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Use a lower crossover on the sub. Take it down to 60 Hz, and see how that sounds. Also, you did run the auto-calibration routine on your Sony receiver, right? It should have set the sub to a reasonable level. The LsiM speakers should be far better than your Polk Monitors (Polk Monitors near-field... *shudder*). If it were me, I would get three bookshelf speakers for the front L/C/R and raise them above the monitors and aim them at the listening position. Like you said, the L/R are placed much too wide, ideally you as the listener want to form an equilateral triangle with the left and right speakers. Raising the speakers off the desk will also improve the sound because I am sure that desktop is doing terrible things to the frequency response of those speakers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1523073/computer-eyefinity-speaker-setup-w-pics#post_24497282

Did you run the setup on your receiver to set the subwoofer level? A 10, 12, or even 15 inch. The size shouldn't matter. If it's too much, turn it down.

Ill hook it up again and mess with it but not only was the bass overpowering but the enclosure was massive too. Also I did mess with the reciver and LFE output but forgot that the sub itself was turned all the way up. Its in a huge room right now so its at almost max. My chair wasnt able to really roll up to the desk and in order to get the sub a little bit more under the desk I would have to get the saw out and go to work on the desk. The sub I get as a replacement is going to have to be at a reasonably modest size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1523073/computer-eyefinity-speaker-setup-w-pics#post_24497578

Use a lower crossover on the sub. Take it down to 60 Hz, and see how that sounds. Also, you did run the auto-calibration routine on your Sony receiver, right? It should have set the sub to a reasonable level. The LsiM speakers should be far better than your Polk Monitors (Polk Monitors near-field... *shudder*). If it were me, I would get three bookshelf speakers for the front L/C/R and raise them above the monitors and aim them at the listening position. Like you said, the L/R are placed much too wide, ideally you want to form an equilateral triangle with the left and right speakers. Raising the speakers off the desk will also improve the sound because I am sure that desktop is doing terrible things to the frequency response of those speakers.

The Sony receiver is really old, perhaps 12 years or so. It doesn't have an auto calibration feature and is limited as to what all I can change. It will be upgraded to a Yamaha 671 which is my current receiver on another system once it gets updated.

Lol, know my monitors aren't near field but the tweeter and the woofer are much closer on my monitors than they are on the LsiM's. The Lsi has thee speakers to merge sound from instead of two like my monitors.

At first I tried to find a way to mount my center channel above the LCD monitors but the hutch is in the way. I dont have the depth for a speaker as it will hit the overhead hutch. Did you mean take a bookshelf speaker and mount it in a normal vertical position? That I could probably do but the L/R speakers have to be on the desk. The Far left monitor and speaker are all the way under the hutch. There is no room above the left monitor to mount a speaker.

Also, Ive been debating on a way to get the speakers off the desk, not only for frequency respnce but to get them more ear level. How far off the desk should I attempt? I cant do any more than 7 inches due to the hutch and the left speaker.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppinJ  /t/1523073/computer-eyefinity-speaker-setup-w-pics#post_24498219

Ill hook it up again and mess with it but not only was the bass overpowering but the enclosure was massive too. Also I did mess with the reciver and LFE output but forgot that the sub itself was turned all the way up. Its in a huge room right now so its at almost max. My chair wasnt able to really roll up to the desk and in order to get the sub a little bit more under the desk I would have to get the saw out and go to work on the desk. The sub I get as a replacement is going to have to be at a reasonably modest size.

The Sony receiver is really old, perhaps 12 years or so. It doesn't have an auto calibration feature and is limited as to what all I can change. It will be upgraded to a Yamaha 671 which is my current receiver on another system once it gets updated.

Yep. Be sure to cut the gain (volume) down on the back of the sub, too. With an old receiver like that, I would probably set the subwoofer channel to zero on the recevier, and then adjust the gain on the sub manually to get the desired volume level. That way the receiver neither has to cut nor increase the audio signal coming from it.

For something smaller, I can recommend the SVS SB-1000 . Very compact 12" sealed sub with excellent sound. It's a 13" cube, making it pretty easy to fit under a desk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1523073/computer-eyefinity-speaker-setup-w-pics#post_24498249

Yep. Be sure to cut the gain (volume) down on the back of the sub, too. With an old receiver like that, I would probably set the subwoofer channel to zero on the recevier, and then adjust the gain on the sub manually to get the desired volume level. That way the receiver neither has to cut nor increase the audio signal coming from it.

For something smaller, I can recommend the SVS SB-1000 . Very compact 12" sealed sub with excellent sound. It's a 13" cube, making it pretty easy to fit under a desk.

That is indeed one compact little sub. 13 in wide is about as wide as I would want it too. It could be taller and deeper without to many issues but that thing would fit under my desk perfectly. Ive not considered a non sealed enclosure. As a matter of fact I don't think Ive ever seen on used in home theater setups. Ive used sealed enclosures in vehicles and been underwhelmed compared to the same driver in a ported enclosure, even an improperly tuned one.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppinJ  /t/1523073/computer-eyefinity-speaker-setup-w-pics#post_24498308

That is indeed one compact little sub. 13 in wide is about as wide as I would want it too. It could be taller and deeper without to many issues but that thing would fit under my desk perfectly. Ive not considered a non sealed enclosure. As a matter of fact I don't think Ive ever seen on used in home theater setups. Ive used sealed enclosures in vehicles and been underwhelmed compared to the same driver in a ported enclosure, even an improperly tuned one.

When it's 3 feet away from you nearfield, you get a lot of output from it. It has a 300 watt RMS amp. If you look at the tech specs on their website, you'll see that it uses an internal DSP to give it a ruler flat response down to 30hz. I replaced a 10" ported sub with it (also with 300 watts RMS amp). The SB-1000 has plenty of volume, sounds much better, and sure is a lot smaller

They also have a 45 day free in home trial --free shipping both ways. Worth a shot if you are interested in it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started looking into a desktop speaker stand and decided I can fabricate my own for now. I have a ton of these little rubber grommets meant to go under speakers or furniture that I can stack on one another to my desired height. Ive already got them laying around for free so why not. I can also play around with the height and tilt of the speaker just by stacking them on each other without screwing them down. Ill post pics once Im done. Raising the speakers on the rubber grommets, coupled with pulling the sub off of the desk (it was touching before) made a tremendous positive impact. While I do love heavy base, the sub is much less boomy now that the desk isn't sitting on top of it resonating.

Ive also started kicking around the idea of having a dual sub setup. Currently I can tell the direction of the bass simply because the sub sits so close to me I can feel the pressure in my left ear but not the right. Dunno if that makes since but the bass isn't totally omni directional like its supposed to be. The SB1000 fits perfectly in the space I have and I could place one on each side of me.

Now I just need to figure out if the 703s being to close to me will cause problems or not. If so then Ill need to find another stereo set of bookshelfs.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppinJ  /t/1523073/computer-eyefinity-speaker-setup-w-pics#post_24500696

I started looking into a desktop speaker stand and decided I can fabricate my own for now.

Books can work well with experimenting with height because you can mix and match different thicknesses. In fact, that's what I use in my home office in place of stands.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts