AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,- I have a few questions regarding a computer monitor as a TV. I dont know about this stuff too much so any help is very appreciated.

I have a 23" Samsung B2330 (not the HD model) that I would like to use on my screened in porch outside as a TV. Ideally I want a bigger TV outside, but I do not want to spend the money right now. I already have speakers running outside from a receiver (Sony 7.1 Channel 3D A/V Receiver). I am thinking I can hook up HD cable through the receiver via HDMI-in, and then use the HDMI to go to the monitor, with a HDMI-DVI converter.

Will this work, and will the picture be ok?- worth of HD?

The monitor doesnt have a remote, any ideas on if this monitor is able to accept one?

With this setup I wouldnt need anything else to get sound to go through the speakers correct?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
If I'm reading the reviews right, the B2330 is the same resolution as the B2330HD (1920x1080), and includes HDCP, but is just lacking some of the connectors. If that's the case, the monitor should be fine.

Edited to add:

You'll need to use your cable box's remote to change channels. You'll probably need an IR repeater to relay its signal to the other room. Turning the display off and on will have to be done manually.

DVI normally does not include audio connections. You might have to use separate connections and speakers.

Note, however, that the HDMI implementations in most cable boxes are, shall we say, problematic. You'll have to try it to find out if it works reliably for you. Make sure the firmware is up to date in all of your equipment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts