AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Sony 24" CRT FW900 FD Trinitron Wide Screen? I'm wanting to use this as a computer monitor and display unit for my DVDs and HDTV. Any help is appreciated. I'll be running all video out from my home theater PC via the ATI Radeon 8500. (HDTV tuner card is in the PC). Since it doesn't look like this Sony has a DVI in I'll probably be using the VGA connection.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I don't know if I could get use to a small

monitor, my image fills a 19 inch vertical and I have 33.75 inches of width on my Home Theatre HDTV. Best of luck on your decision.:)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to be buying a 50" plasma as well but I want to be able to work on my home theater PC with a close monitor when I'm working.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have been pining after one of these for an awfully long time. Even on ebay, they are pricey.

Hob will not believe it, but not everyone wants a big display since not everybody lives in a penthouse on Park Ave. and with a ~.25 dot pitch, the number of pixels on a small screen will have a better display of an HDTV image than a big honker with dots 1/4" apart.

Here is a thread that talks about HDTV dithering the output, which can be detected with a good monitor, but would be overlooked on a less clear one:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=141311

·
Registered
545 Posts
I used the Dell version of the GDM-W900 24" widescreen from my Radeon equipped HTPC until the monitor died after an electrical storm (Bad "D" board would cost $900 to repair). Suggest you put it on a good surge protector if you get one.

On the plus side, it gave great PQ at 1440x960 72Hz for DVDs and excellent OTA HDTV.

Wanna buy a dead Dell version cheap? Could be a parts unit if you find a good deal on a used one....BTW Sony makes or made OEM versions of this for both Dell and Sun.

Mark H

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thats right e vey. In fact, llogan, if you search on titles for w900, 24" and similar key words you will find quite a bit about these units.

Mark H

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use search all of the time, at the time search was broken so I couldn't do a search! :D

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Delicous2,

I found your old post here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=93868

I have an idea. Since you have the full service manual and (theoretically) an accurate diagnosis, if you could get the D board and either fix it yourself or find someone local to do the work, you could be in business.

I found an 85ish man here that I bring special jobs like this to. He is semi-retired and runs a small shop part-time repairing Motorola business radios. His shop is very well equipped, but like a lot of older people, digital electronics escapes him.

Usually, I know what has to be done, since I got Basic Electricity and Electronics training in the Navy, but my hands shake too much to actually do it. His hands shake, too, but less than mine (scary ain't it?). So I troubleshoot it, then he does the fine soldering work. Since I provided the brain power and it only takes him 10 minutes, how much can he charge me? Between the two of us, we can get things done at reasonable cost if the cost of a new or used one is high. Course, if I misdiagnose and it still doesn't work, it is on me and I still pay him.

But I don't know if you want to put any more money into this unit. Maybe you are disgusted, by now. And $500 is a real risk if the diagnosis is wrong. Usually, I get it down to a 25 cent part. If the thing really got zapped, it could be a bunch of parts and then a board is in order, since soldering these mult-layer boards is a *****.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Llogan

I use the Sony FW900 for both HD (from an RCA DTC-100/Dish 5000HD) and computer (Dell Prec 620 Workstation. First class for BOTH purposes. The FW900 has two video inputs, which makes it ideal for my purposes.

Keep in mind that the screen is not quite 16:9. So you will have to bring the vertical height down a bit to see the full 16:9 aspect ratio. You can get a 21.5 inch diagonal picture (19" wide by 10.625" high).

I run the FW900 at 1600 by 1024 pixels in the computer display. Lots of screen space and fantastic sharpness. The only drawback when using the FW900 as a HDTV monitor is the slightly lower level of image brightness. That is due to the small screen stripe width (0.24 mm wide) needed for computer display sharpness. Still the sharpest HDTV monitor you will ever find.

Bill

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
And $500 is a real risk if the diagnosis is wrong.
Thanks for the thoughts e vey. I do indeed have the full service manual. I'm not so much disgusted as just wary of investing very much more in this unit. If I could find a known good "D board" or deflection board reasonably cheap I would try the surgery myself, although, if the thing needed adjustments with instrumentation to be calibrated to the new board I would be lost. I have very little experience with precision soldering so would not even attempt that....

Despite the problems I've had, I agree with Bill that this is the sharpest HDTV monitor I've seen. Highly recommended.

Mark H

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agree with Mr Wood. This monitor gives you the best detail of any monitor,projector,etc.

Only problems are brightness (grayscale) and size.

Note: Picture on this 24" monitor is 22.5" diaginal.

It will just wet your appetite for a larger screen.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I decided to forego getting this unit and just went ahead and bought the Pioneer 503 cmx earlier than I was going to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.