AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed there where a couple older threads about computer monitors vs LCD TV's. But recently the market has changed.

There are 26"+ 1080p LCD monitors for under $300 (Hanns-G HG-281DPB)

There are 32" 1080p LCD TV's for under $550 (LG 32LF11)

The LCD monitor market is exploding! Now, I know that most of the current LCD monitors are TN displays, which my friends tell me aren't as good, but neither of us know what kind of panel most TV's use.

I just built a new core i7 system with a great GTX card, and need a larger monitor. Mostly for gaming, but I would also like to watch movies on it, from less than 6 feet away. (I have currently been watching them on my Dell 17" 4:3 LCD monitor, so anything is better)

Just looking for advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
TN panel monitors are made for gaming... They have less accurate color reproduction but much faster response times. And gaming is all about response times. TVs generally have REALLY slow response times on them compared to LCD monitors

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I have decided on a LCD monitor. I do not need the TV tuner, as my brother just informed me I could borrow his HD tuner

So, now I just need to know about TN panels vs S-IPS monitors.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENiGmA1987 /forum/post/16919354

Stay away from Hanns-G.

Here is a nice cheap TN panel monitor for gaming and 1080p:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236051

You can user the DVI input from your computer, and HDMI from your TV tuner

I use the bigger brother for my racing sim rig. It a decent monitor for the price. Nice feature is the VESA 100mm mounting on the back so I remove the stand and mounted it on my display stand that I built for my Playseats Evo set up. It has DVI, HDMI and VGA and audio speakers ([email protected] quality) and SPDIF out (?). I picked this up so I can use DVI for the PC, VGA for the 360 and maybe the HDMI for a new 360 or PS3 later.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236052

Over all I pref monotor over TV's if they are to be mainly used for PC work since no issues with over and underscan in most cases. But for HT use I use TV's, they just do not make 60" monitors that are even close to being affordable except for the oil barons/sheiks yet...

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENiGmA1987 /forum/post/16913158

TN panel monitors are made for gaming... They have less accurate color reproduction but much faster response times. And gaming is all about response times. TVs generally have REALLY slow response times on them compared to LCD monitors

It's not so much the response time that causes issue for people, its the lag. Response times on new HDTV's are generally 2 to 4 ms these days. LCD HDTV's can have a lag of up to 100ms or more in bad cases. This means that when you move your mouse, your cursor will move 100ms later.

Having said that, depending on which model you get and how picky you are, some people have good results with using HDTV's for gaming monitors. Including me!

I use a samsung LA32B650 as a full time monitor for gaming and web surfing and I love it. When in "game mode" the lag on this model is about 30ms. Some people hate it, but I dont mind it at all. Even when playing fast paced FPS games. Some other models can provide even lower lag if you are really picky about it. There's a few threads on here somewhere that look at lag pretty closley if your interested.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, I ended up buying an LG W2361V-PF. Its a great LCD monitor, has HDMI, 1080p, (1920x1080), 2ms response time (g2g), and some crazy high made up dynamic contrast number of 50,000. Not sure what the Static is, or if it matters. 23" viewable area and a nice looking display overall.

I love it! It's too small for a dedicated TV, but it will do excellently for my gaming/movie watching experience. I am guessing it's a TN panel since the viewing angle isn't amazing, but I love it.

It has a small amount of backlight bleed in the lower middle section, but no where else! Love it.

Thanks for the input y'all. I got this thing for $160 through work. Not shabby.

OH, and no dead/stuck pixels. Very happy.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've got the Hans G 28" and I think it's pretty good. Blu rays look good and gaming is awesome.

I wanted to the HP 30", but I could not justify the $$$. $300 for a 28" monitor was too good to pass up.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
TN\\TFT is the only acceptable way to go for gaming on LCD. I have the Samsung 2333SW 23" 1080p and I love it.. virtually no discernable input lag and great display all around. You can get them on Dell Home for under $200 all the time.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only thing I wish I had was a motherboard/video card that did HDMI so I could use HDMI and plug my headphone's into the monitor. But no biggie.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludejtstyle /forum/post/17078438

Only thing I wish I had was a motherboard/video card that did HDMI so I could use HDMI and plug my headphone's into the monitor. But no biggie.

If you have a DVI output (which I imagine you do) just buy a DVI->HDMI converter plug. You can pick one up for like $5 at monoprice.com.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that doesn't help since DVI doesn't carry sound. And since the output is actually DVI, I would still have no sound getting to my monitor.

But I appreciate your input.

Any other thoughts/idea's?

·
Registered
19,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludejtstyle /forum/post/17088916

that doesn't help since DVI doesn't carry sound. And since the output is actually DVI, I would still have no sound getting to my monitor.

But I appreciate your input.

Any other thoughts/idea's?

No you wouldn't, but if you have a decent display you should at least have a l+r sound input. But not many people use their display's speakers these days. Just buy a decent set of pc speakers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.