AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will any newer computer monitor be able to display the standard hdtv formats 480i,480p,1080i. I'm getting a xbox and its supports 480p for the games, will I see a 480p signal on my monitor. Another question, my TV right now doesn't have s video or component video. I saw on Toshiba 32 TV that says it can handle 800 lines of resoultion. If I hook up the Xbox to that tv will it have 800 lines or resoultion? In other words, will a see a dramatic difference between the Toshiba set and the TV I have now or should I not get the Toshiba and use that money towards a HDTV since I plan on getting one in the near future. I was also thinking about going the DTV route to save some money, anyone know of any good sites that sell DTV's or used and refurbished HDTV's? Any comments or suggestions will be helpful for I am a newbie in this field.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by schultzie73
Will any newer computer monitor be able to display the standard hdtv formats 480i,480p,1080i. I'm getting a xbox and its supports 480p for the games, will I see a 480p signal on my monitor. Another question, my TV right now doesn't have s video or component video. I saw on Toshiba 32 TV that says it can handle 800 lines of resoultion. If I hook up the Xbox to that tv will it have 800 lines or resoultion? In other words, will a see a dramatic difference between the Toshiba set and the TV I have now or should I not get the Toshiba and use that money towards a HDTV since I plan on getting one in the near future. I was also thinking about going the DTV route to save some money, anyone know of any good sites that sell DTV's or used and refurbished HDTV's? Any comments or suggestions will be helpful for I am a newbie in this field.
Any OLDER monitor shoudl be able to handle it as well. 480p is really just 640 x 480. 1080 on the other hand is a little bit bigger, but most monitors built in the last 2 or 3 years should EASILLY be able to handle it.

Was the toshiba the widescreen TV? If so then yes it will be able to handle the signal just fine.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Iv been wondering about using PC monitors as HD monitors too. My monitor is a Compaq 17" MV721, Im running it @ 1024X768 (for pc apps) but and it can go upto 1280X1024. Would this make a good HD mon? BTW it will be 2 years on 12/4.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
740 Posts
well I`m useing a 21inch iiyama Vision Master computer monitor.

works for me fine at full HDTV resolution! add in a HiPix and life could not beter, well my dads new 57h81 toshiba is a little better!

so glad I talked him into it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.