AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will any newer computer monitor be able to display the standard hdtv formats 480i,480p,1080i. I'm getting a xbox and its supports 480p for the games, will I see a 480p signal on my monitor. Another question, my TV right now doesn't have s video or component video. I saw on Toshiba 32 TV that says it can handle 800 lines of resoultion. If I hook up the Xbox to that tv will it have 800 lines or resoultion? In other words, will a see a dramatic difference between the Toshiba set and the TV I have now or should I not get the Toshiba and use that money towards a HDTV since I plan on getting one in the near future. I was also thinking about going the DTV route to save some money, anyone know of any good sites that sell DTV's or used and refurbished HDTV's? Any comments or suggestions will be helpful for I am a newbie in this field

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm also planning on purchasing an XBox for use with my Sony GDM-FW900 monitor. I'm thinking of buying the Key Digital transcoder from copperbox.com so that my monitor will accept component video but I have a concern. I think the transcoder says that it accepts progressive component and outputs vga, so does this mean it will only send progressive material to my monitor and no interlaced sources? Since from what I understand the XBox DVD playback will not be progressive, so if I bought the transcoder for my monitor would I only be able to display progressive sources or could I display both progressive and interlaced games and watch DVDs too?.

·
Registered
43 Posts
From what I read on Key Digital transcoder is that it will accept any vga output from any source. It will then transcode the signal to Y-Pr-Pb AKA High Band Component Video. I plan on buying the #2 as the number #1 is out of production.

Only I will buy mine from Digital Connection. They may have the name copperbox but they think have gold mine thinking. When I was searching prices on my 4 to 1 component switcher their price was the highest, when I e-mailed them they said that was the price. I then said you have just lost a $725 sale. I then bought my stuff I needed off of InlineInc.

All this talk about copy protection hasn't affected my sets ability to receive digital programming for I watch movies in High Def 1,080i daily on my favorite pay channel HBO. I own the fully integrated RCA 38" direct tube model F38310 HDTV.

Home Theatre Magazine in the November 2001 issue Page 117. They give the following: Build quality 92, Value 97, Features 97, Performance 90, Ergonomics 85 these are all based on 100 as the top figure. As you can see all the numbers are in the ball park, for my own experience as a owner for 8 months has been wonderful.

I would recommend this set to you for the line doubler is already built in, there is a Direct TV receiver built in also Price I paid $2999 from local dealer and it is worth every penny to this proud owner who did his 'homework' in selecting what would be best suited for my needs. You were looking for a great HDTV for a minimal price outlay. The inside demensions are 19 inches vertical and a shade less than 34 inches in width with a 1,280 X 1080 for a 1,382,400 pixel display!:)

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Schultzie73:

___For the PC monitor question, all will be able to display the 480p with the proper converter/inputs but interlaced resolutions on a std. non-interlaced Computer monitor are very iffy at best. It may shudder, the displays dimensions may be distorted, and the colors could be very dark. At least that is what I have seen w/ 1080i to my std. PC monitor. Keep your Safe Mode Ctrl-Alt-S hot key ready under Powerstrip when you try this ;) You can try a std. 1080i resolution via PS on your current monitor to see the problems with it if it will synch at all but PC Monitors are now all built w/ non-interlaced resolution compatibility, not interlaced. As for the quality of display to a non-HDTV, the 480p/1080i output from the X-Box is already beyond the Tosh (non-HDTV) and you will only be able to use the 480i itself. The PQ to the non-HD of any type at just 480i will not look nearly as good as 480p/1080i to any HD type displays.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.