AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard computer monitors give a clearer picture then most HDTVs, or something of the sort, like more crisp and no grain.. is this true?

I went into best buy and there was one HDTV hooked up to a single blu-ray player, and as I was watching it I could see the grain on the footage (it was like High Def grain though, not low quality) The picture was amazing though, then I'm over here at the monitors in best buy, some of them had a video playing and I could not see any grain at all on it...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nope, completely untrue. The grain you saw at BB is film grain and it is supposed to be there. It can be removed/reduced though noise reduction, but you loose a ton of sharpness in the process. Not a good trade off.

Monitors can appear a bit sharper because they are generally smaller. But other than that it a PC monitor is basically a small TV without the tuner.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp /forum/post/15560623

and a load of inputs are missing as well.

Exactly! They strip out all the NTSC/ATSC video processing circuitry you use to plug-in peripherals like cable boxes and DVD players. That's why "monitors" are so much cheaper than "TV's" (even though they may use the same/similar panels).

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah, I bought a 22" computer monitor to use as a TV in my bedroom since it didn't need a tuner as it was going through the box for AT&T Uverse anyway. But, quickly found some problems. First, there is no remote, so you can't turn it off & on. The Uverse box always sends a signal (even when it is "off"), so I couldn't rely on the monitor to just go to sleep. Fixed that with an external remote to just powered on & off the outlet the monitor was plugged into.

Also, many computer monitors don't have speakers, so you have to use external ones, and again no remote for the volume. I used old computer speakers and the Uverse box could send a variable output, controlled by its remote.

In the end, I gave up on the idea, because I had no sleep timer, and no other inputs other than the HDMI.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton /forum/post/15561270

Exactly! They strip out all the NTSC/ATSC video processing circuitry you use to plug-in peripherals like cable boxes and DVD players. That's why "monitors" are so much cheaper than "TV's" (even though they may use the same/similar panels).

Huh? I was under the impression monitors are more expensive then HDTVs.. A nic 24" IPS panel is 1,099$ right now, a TN panel (worse panel) 24" is around 500$ both 1200p

for TVs a 32" 1080p IPS panel is around 800$, and an 32" PVA panel 1080p is about the same, but most 720p 32"s etc are like 500$...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi183 /forum/post/15564777

Huh? I was under the impression monitors are more expensive then HDTVs.. A nic 24" IPS panel is 1,099$ right now, a TN panel (worse panel) 24" is around 500$ both 1200p

for TVs a 32" 1080p IPS panel is around 800$, and an 32" PVA panel 1080p is about the same, but most 720p 32"s [TVs] etc are like 500$...

Perhaps the 32" TV is so cheap exactly because it's 720p?

The 24" monitors you cite are probably going to be 1200p, as you say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts