AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a optical out from my computer to my brand spankin new yamaha RX-V530 receiver. It needs to output DTS/Dolby Digital/Prologic and so on. If anyone has heard of one without computer speaker out and just optical out. Coaxial in/out and analog in/out would be a nice extra but not neccasary. Also I dont need it to have a decoder. Thankyou and I would apreciate some help:)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by irishpimpin
I need a optical out from my computer to my brand spankin new yamaha RX-V530 receiver. It needs to output DTS/Dolby Digital/Prologic and so on.
Here are a few alternatives:

M-Audio Sonica: http://www.maudio.com/products/consu...nica_page1.php

M-Audio Delta DiO 2496: http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/dio2496.php

M-Audio Delta DiO 2448: http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/dio2448.php

Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1: http://us.hercules.com/products/show...b=0&show=2&f=1

There are also a number of motherboards and barebones computer systems that come standard with optical output.

--

Steve

·
Registered
212 Posts
and Sound Blaster Live! with the front panel Live! drive is exactly what you want. I have a SB Live! Platinum 5.1 and its got S/PDIF optical and coaxial IN and OUT. Thats 4, count 'em 4 digital audio connections. Find one of those used (as they don't make them anymore) or buy the new Audigy series with the Live! drive.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
There is an SB Live with Hoontech adapter on ebay. This gives you an optical out. I bet it will go for about $30.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Try the Zoltrix Nightingale 6 Pro. It's inexpensive compared to some of the creative labs stuff especially if you get a Live Drive. My personal opinion but I think those Live Drives are ugly and they take up a 5 1/4" drive bay. Your also then stuck with wires hanging out of the front of your PC case. I got the Zoltrix card because all connections are in the back of the PC. Much neater. I'm currently using the Zoltrix card and it's been great playing all my MP3s through my Toshiba 6109 surround sound receiver/dvd player. The receiver components are built by Onkyo, the DVD stuff is by Toshiba. Once it's setup, even my wife can use it. Just load up music match with my 9 gigs of MP3's and your good to go. I've got the optical out hooked up as well as a set of headphones. It's great no cable switching at all just keep the receiver shut off if you don't want to broadcast what your doing on the PC. Headphones and the Optical out are active at the same time. I haven't had any trouble at all with any games either. It's a nice looking card for the case modders too. Black PCB, with gold connections. You can see it at www.zoltrix.com

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Just an fyi... I don't know what you are going to be using your sound card for but recognize that if you are going to be playing CD's, MP3, etc. (at 44.1khz) most PC sound cards upsample the audio stream to 48khz. The exceptions are the m-audio and other pro-audio oriented cards.

I know the Live! series upsamples as does the nightingale. Can't comment one way or another on the fortissimo.

Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i will be using it mainly for 5.1 sounds from games and some music. But more importantly i want it for games. By the way. Im not really sure what khz is. Could someone explain to me?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Kilohertz is a measure of the cycles per second. With regard to audio...

Music is a wave. To capture this analog wave an analog to digital converter takes snapshots of a sound wave at points in time. How often it takes these snapshots is the sampling frequency... measured in hertz or in this case kilohertz per second.

I equate the sampling frequency to the frame rate for video... i.e. how often a snapshot is taken of an analog source.

Also related is how detailed a snapshot is taken... i.e. the bit depth.

So for an analog signal that is recorded to a digital CD file (16 bit/44.1khz) 44,100 samples are taken every second and each sample is 16 bits in length.

Al

·
Registered
212 Posts
sorry, but actually kilohertz IS just samples per second. It is the inverse of time. Its not Kilohertz per second.

the KILO part of KILOhertz just means 1000, so kilohertz is 1000 hertz. a hertz is just something per second. its unit of measurement is seconds to the exponent negative one or 1/seconds.

Just thought i'd clear that all up for you. (gotta know this stuff being an electrical engineering student)

the sampling of a signal (audio in this case) is done with a sampling frequency. The time between each sample taken of the analog signal to a digital signal is the sampling time (we can call this Ts). The sampling frequency (call it fs) is just 1/Ts. This therefore gives you 1/seconds which is a hertz.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.