AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've been browsing this forum for a few weeks now, and went through this subforum looking a good answer to this question. It's kinda been glossed over in some lcd vs plasma threads, but my situation is different i think.

Let me just say that from, watching in stores, I prefer the bright cripse images of plasmas over LCDs. Is this just a store thing? I mean can I calibrate an LCD to near that quality? From reading, I am guessing not.

What I know I want to do on a tv right now is play console games, watch sports, and stream xvids from the computer to my xbox(I am not home during primetime so I miss a lot of shows).

I am not sure if I want to hook up my computer to a 37-42inch and use it 2 ft from my face. I don't think that'll be very comfortable. But I can, I do have a high end computer, and would do it if it improves PQ and improves my other tv viewing experiences(see above) . Will it?

So the main question is, as the thread title says, is hooking up a plasma to the computer a viable option. I see blip about LCD being better for this, but is it viable for a plasma also. As I've mentioned I really like the look of plasmas in the store.

BUT, if I could do all those things I mentioned above(streaming videos through the xbox, console gaming, etc) well on a plasma without hooking it up to a pc, than I don't really care. But I watch a lot of tv through streaming, and not live. That is very important to this decision.

My budget is 2k, but I can go over if something just above it really blows me away. That 42' panasonic everyone seems to love, after the expected price drop, seems kinda ideal. I can wait till around christmas, maybe after to make this decision(any thing good expected to come out?", but will prefer to do it sometimes within 2-3 weeks for FOOTBALL season.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Plasma is certainly a viable option for all the things you mention doing, except viewing 2 feet from your face. Even with an HD rated Plasma, you will likely see Screen Door Effect at that distance.

I have my Plasma connected to the computer and XBox. I sit about ten feet away from my 42".

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The PD50 Panny has no PC input, If you want that feature with a Panny, go to costco's and get a PA25,it has a front pc input which i dont really care for but with a HTPC i built it looks good even surfing the web.

I built it for watching/burning dvd's and recording thru firewire HD material from my Motorola DVR.

Xbox looks great with there component cables also.

You do not want to look at 2-3ft on any plasma as the SDE is horrible at that range......LCD would be a better bet for that range, but a lcd in the size you want is over 2k.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i don't want to sit 2ft from the screen either.

I mean I want to keep my computer seperate from my tv. I only mention it as an option if there is some benefit to doing so.

As I've said, all I want to do is play console games and watch xvids and HD sports on this thing. A plasma would be a good option for this then?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.