AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a sub/sat combo for my son's 13th birthday. It will be only used to play MP3's using a Dell computer. It will be used in a medium sized bedroom (12x14). Top end is $100, but would certainly like to spend less.

Anybody have a good recommendation?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I'd go with a 2.1 system - two desktop speakers and a subwoofer/amplifier. I use a Klipsch Promedia GMX-A2.1 which sounds wonderful, but is just a little outside your range at about $125.

You could try to find it cheaper on eBay, or go Circuit City or similar and listen. Honestly, some computer systems sound *terrible*. But you should be able to find something in your price range that doesn't.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A decent budget solution would be Altec Lansing ATP-3. No longer available new, but can be found on eBay, craigslist, etc. for $30-$40.

If space is not an issue, the best solution for $100 would be to get a used, older generation stereo receiver and a pair of used bookshelf speakers from eBay, etc. For a $100 budget, it is possible to get some pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. In doing some more online reading, popular choices seem to be Klispch Promedia, Logitech Z3, JBL Creature II, and various Altec Lansing.

Anyone have experience with any of the above (or other recommendations)?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Here is my opinion ... take it for what it is worth. I own some TDK, Altec, & Monsoon speaker sets. I have friends with Logitech & Klipsch sets.

It all comes down to what kind of sound you are looking for. Logitechs are kind of boomy, Klipsch are heavy in the mid bass, and Altecs are tinny sounding. For me the Monsoons were the most natural/neutral sounding.

Here is how I would rank them from the models that I have heard

1 Monsoon, 2 Klipsch, 3 Altec, 4 Logitech, 5 TDK.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I've heard very good things about the Cambridge Soundworks setups, too, but don't know if they have a package in your price range.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was at BB, Circuit City, Tweeter and several computer stores today - and for the most part all the 2.1 computer speakers were tinny, boomy or both. The integration between the sub and stats was generally awful. The setup and demo in all stores ranged from just OK to horrible. I guess I'm expecting way too much for this price range. Unfortunately, nobody had the Monsoons.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reviews on the Monsoons are generally very good, however, I have 2 issues. One is the limited sweet-spot for planar speakers - as my son will not always be at his desk. The other is that they may not be the best speakers for the rap/rock he listens to. Unfortunately, I have not been able to listen to these speakers.

I guess I'll increase my budget - the Klipsch Promedia GX 2.1 sounded good, and so did the Logitech 2200's. The Altec Lansings all sounded pretty tinny.

Anybody else have thoughts or recommendations?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jermy4
If you live in the St Louis area you can come listen to my Monsoons ...
I absolutely agree-Monsoons sound fantastic. I tried the majority of THX & other PC speakers out there before I came across the Monsoons. As far as clarity, nothing comes close to them. I don't boom very much with the sub (I have it turned down quite low), so can't really say much about how it will deal with rap. I'm just hoping my Monsoons never die on me-I just don't know what I could replace them with.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
If you go the Klipsch route and order online, I've had very good dealings with www.newegg.com . They have the GMX A-2.1 for $132 with free shipping. If I recall correctly, I got it in two days. They also have an excellent return policy. I checked www.pricewatch.com and the only cheaper listings charge shipping.

If you want to take a riskier but cheaper route, there are Promedia THX 2.1 systems all over eBay at about $70 + shipping. They list at about $175 MSRP, but had some QA issues when they first came out.

OTOH, pricewatch shows the Monsoons at gameve.com for $63 shipped. Hmmm.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DMF

OTOH, pricewatch shows the Monsoons at gameve.com for $63 shipped. Hmmm.
Those are the low end/entry level Monsoons. Not very good, at least compared to their other models. I'm running the MH-505, available on Amazon.

As far as I know, the company is defunct.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think the Klipsch will sound better with rap music. The Monsoons don't go very low. At least the MH-505s that I have don't go really low. I'm not sure what the actual frequency response is.

The company might still be around under the name songistix.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've never heard a pair of computer or "multimedia" speakers that I liked. However, I haven't listened to any of those mentioned so far in this thread.

Anyhow, I would recommend looking at some of the inexpensive powered monitors used for home recording. You might try doing a search on these:

M-Audio Studiophile DX4 Powered Monitors

Yamaha MSP3 Active 2-Way Studio Monitors

M-Audio StudioPro 4 Active Monitors

Nady SM-250 Active Studio Monitor

M-Audio Studiophile LX4 2.1

Edirol MA-10D Amplified Digital Micro Monitor

Edirol MA-10A Amplified Digital Micro Monitor

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
The Eridols look interesting, although they only go down to 70 Hz vs. the GMX' 35 Hz.

The rest bust his price point. And if that wasn't there, you'd also have to look seriously at a Swans combo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.