AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been reading some threads on here bashing on Bose. I have heard some opinions for the home theater set up. How about for computer speakers? I have heard great things about some Pioneer products. But, I know them mostly for car stereos.

Right now, I have an old set of Logitech speakers. Which do the job decent. But, at the same time I do not get the clarity I desire. I play a lot of games. Games which demand good audio. Listen for footsteps and other giveaways. For example, to give you an idea of what I need, I play: Battlefield 3, ArmA 2, and go back in time with CS:S. All of them very dependent on noise.

I want something for where I am now. Which is in a small room(Barracks), and when I go home, to fit into a bedroom\study type area. But, with more freedom to spread the sound.

I was hoping to get something possibly this weekend, since I need to upgrade a few other items as well.(Modem and such.)

Thanks in advance!

Brent

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
What's your budget? And it sounds like you probably have some size limitations (what dimensions).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you opposed to headphones? I have used various 2.0 and 2.1 setups for gaming but I always go headphones for CS:S. The only downside to quality headphone use is you will probably get banned from pubs for walling.

·
Registered
560 Posts
If you primary use is for games, then I would recommend a set of headphones. More specifically, the Psyko Audio Krypton or Carbon headphones. They are the only true 5.1 headphones available. All the others simulate the 5.1 experience with either software, or multiple drivers inside the cup of the earphone. This does not give you proper spacing and placement to realistically relay 3 dimensional position. I have the Krypton and love them. They are not audiophile headphones, so music will pretty much sound like crap, but they can't be beat for positional awareness in games. Check them out.

http://www.psykoaudio.com/#axzz1z0JB76HM

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05  /t/1417666/computer-speaker-system/0_100#post_22171016

or multiple drivers inside the cup of the earphone.
So the whatever they're calleds don't use multiple drivers? I'm confused. How can they do "true" 5.1 without 6 drivers?

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenuex  /t/1417666/computer-speaker-system#post_22170017

So, I have been reading some threads on here bashing on Bose. I have heard some opinions for the home theater set up. How about for computer speakers? I have heard great things about some Pioneer products. But, I know them mostly for car stereos.

Right now, I have an old set of Logitech speakers. Which do the job decent. But, at the same time I do not get the clarity I desire. I play a lot of games. Games which demand good audio. Listen for footsteps and other giveaways. For example, to give you an idea of what I need, I play: Battlefield 3, ArmA 2, and go back in time with CS:S. All of them very dependent on noise.

I want something for where I am now. Which is in a small room(Barracks), and when I go home, to fit into a bedroom\study type area. But, with more freedom to spread the sound.

I was hoping to get something possibly this weekend, since I need to upgrade a few other items as well.(Modem and such.)

Thanks in advance!

Brent

if this is dedicated for gaming then nothing beats a pair of good gaming head phones. If you this is for media and music too, i would go with a 2.1 system. The system can be had for fairly cheap and good if you dont mind getting used, I just built one for under 300, and this for some quality equiptment. Or there's a third choice of buying 2 pair cans. one for gaming and one for media. For me i have both cause I like to take of the headphones off and feel the impact of the noise from gaming.

·
Registered
560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf  /t/1417666/computer-speaker-system#post_22171035

So the whatever they're calleds don't use multiple drivers? I'm confused. How can they do "true" 5.1 without 6 drivers?

The Psyko Audio headphones place 5 individual drivers in the headband and use waveguide to direct the sound to the ear cup. You can go to their site to read more about how it works. http://www.psykoaudio.com/About/Technology#axzz1z0JB76HM

·
Registered
910 Posts
Ugh. I hate gaming headphones. I have been playing CS since 2001 and I'd have to recommend my current headphones - audio technica ath-ad700.

Very comfortable and great for positional audio

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip  /t/1417666/computer-speaker-system#post_22171364

Ugh. I hate gaming headphones. I have been playing CS since 2001 and I'd have to recommend my current headphones - audio technica ath-ad700.

Very comfortable and great for positional audio
i feel the same way about gaming headphones, but audiophile cans dont have the mic if you want to talk s*** or if your playing with friends.

those psyko cans look interesting. Been looking for a new set so i'll look into those.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I gave up on 5.1 headsets, I've tried them all with FPS and died more often than with any tried and true 2 channel headsets with microphone. Accuracy and directionality are both out the window. I've used a Steelseries Siberia V2 the past year or so and now feel completely set.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts