AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I am asking for any advice I can get for a DIY speaker set that would work well with the Elekit TU-8200R tube amp kit.  It has 8W/channel output, so trying to find a good balance between size and efficiency (not ideal, I know).

Use case would be nearfield listening and they would be placed on a corner computer desk under three feet from listener.

After looking around at multiple sites and threads, I was considering the following kits in order of preference, would love to hear any feedback or recommendations on other speakers that are available in full kits (living in a rental overseas and building the cabinet from scratch would be very difficult at this time):

Speedsters: 4 Ohm, 85 db
Quark: 8 Ohm, 84 db
S2000 MTM: 4 Ohm, 91 db
Ion 4 Plus: 4 Ohm, 85 db
Passive Aggressive: 4 Ohm, 82db

Appreciate any input, and thanks!
Ryan

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Speedsters and S2000 I'd probably stay away from. The Overnight Sensations (you didn't list those) would be a better choice over those two for low powered nearfield.

Quark would work, but the OS's would provide way more bass.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
And if you can go slightly larger, the parts express C-Notes are fantastic speakers.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Overnight Sensations would be my recommendation, but I haven't heard the others. My OS sound great on 15w per channel. You can buy them as a kit or build from scratch.

·
Registered
174 Posts
@RyanJohn,

How do you like your Elekit TU-8200R? How long have you been using it? I looked into the Elekits a while back, but instead bought and built a VTA ST-120. I can't offer any intelligent suggestions for desktop speakers, but you can't go wrong with anything from DIYSG.

Good luck!

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the recommendations, will definitely take another look at the OS's and the C notes on Parts Express. Originally had ruled out the OS kit because everyone was saying that the speedsters were a step up, but sounds like they are power hungry.

Also, after looking around I saw many recommendations for the CSS model P215. Seems to get really good reviews for it's price, and a good size for desktop.
@dasa2131,

I haven't put the kit together yet, just received it in the mail today. Part of what made me go with Elekit was the fact I will use it as a PC amp, so figured I could get by with less power, and it is cheaper buying it local in Japan. (Though my Japanese reading comprehension is pretty poor, will be using Google translate a lot).

Waiting on some good solder from U.S. Amazon, hope to start actual build in another two weeks.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Speedsters and S2000's are theoretically a step up from the OS's, but not if you are using a low-powered tube amp. Both of those speakers require a bit more power and sound their best when played at slightly louder levels. The OS's are superb with low volume music and don't require the power to run as the others do.

There's a reason the OS's are such a popular kit...they are inexpensive but play way above their class. I've heard $500 speakers that don't have as good of a soundstage as the OS's do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@_tk

Thank you for the clarification!

I remember hearing when I was younger that you should spend about 2-3x on the speakers vs the amp, so I was trying to look for kits in a higher price bracket.

Sounds like with higher price components a lower power amp is a non starter, unless I am misunderstanding?

·
Registered
308 Posts
No. There is no correlation. Different speakers have different sensitivities regardless of price or quality...
Speakers will make the biggest quality improvement versus electronics, and of course a good subwoofer. You should be looking at speaker kits with a sensitivity of maybe 90db or more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts