AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys (and gals) this is my first post and I have a question regarding computer speakers. I remember reading in Maximum PC magazine a couple years ago that if you were on a budget for home theater speakers, a good set of $400-$500 PC speakers will always beat out a comparably priced set that were meant for home theater use. Is this true? The reasoning was that $400 home theater speakers are so far in the low end of the spectrum for speaker sets that can cost in excess of $20,000 when compared to PC speakers that range from $100 to $600. Thus high end pc speakers give a better bang for the buck than low end home theater speakers. Comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts
It's either true or it's not but I do not think the logic offered proves anything. Equally significant to me is that PC speakers are often made for the bang/smash of games which HT/audio speakers are made for real world sounds or music. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I would say that is completly untrue. I have never heard any PC speakers that were much better than junk, but something like the Athena Point 5 sounds pretty good for it's price. I would always recomend tradional speakers over PC speakers

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have used a set of Logitech Z-680's for about 2.5yrs now for my gaming computer and they are awesome speakers....however, they are designed to be in a small office setting and just don't hold up to larger floor standing speakers or reproduce sound like my Klipsch RF-62's in a larger mid size room.

Now there is clearly a giant price difference at about 10x less $$$ for the Logitech's and you don't need a receiver as the system decodes DD and DTS....but I still think they are more of a toy then a real solution.

Best thing you can do is take them home and try them out, just make sure they can be returned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.