AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, hoping someone here can help me out. I'm a computer guy who likes to think I have some decent skills when it comes to TV's, Home Theater, etc... but sometimes I just need a little help. :)

The computer is a ASUS gaming laptop - G75. Only has an Nvidia 660M video card, so it's not top of the line. But I paid $750 for it on clearance from Best Buy several years ago, and after upgrading to better gaming rigs, I now have this setup as a Windows MCE computer in the bedroom, allowing to show Blu-Rays and play back movies on the LG 55" 3D LCD TV. This gave me options for watching stuff over the Internet, directly from the TV's Vudu app, etc.

As you might imagine, the sound wasn't so hot. Dialog was too quiet, music and explosions seemed too loud, and I wanted something better. So looking at sound bar options online, the Yamaha YAS-203 seemed pretty well reviewed. While normally $399, most places had been selling it at $299. I say HAD been because it was sold out most places. But I kept my eyes open, and found one that was listed as not in the original packaging, with all the accessories, for $239. Thinking it was worth a shot, I placed my order.

When it arrived today, some of the speaker still had plastic stuck to it, and it WAS in the original shipping box. But that box had been munched a little, so they shipped that box inside another one. It did have the remote, optical, and analog cables, as well as the sound bar and wireless sub. Didn't take very long to hook everything up, and sure enough... it is working. Sound isn't going to rival the Marantz receiver and Boston Acoustics smallest 5.1 surround speaker package I bought a few years ago... but if the dialog is clearer, and I'm not turning the volume UP for speaking and DOWN for everything else... you get the idea.

The one thing that confuses me is I'd like to use the sound bar in DD / DTS mode, but here's how things look.

Because the ASUS laptop doesn't have a toslink out, I'm going from the laptop to LG TV with HDMI. Then, because the sound bar doesn't have HDMI, I'm running audio from toslink out on the TV, to the input on the sound bar. This works, but the sound bar only shows forced Dolby Surround sound modes, and not the DTS / Digital light I know means I'm feeding the system with the best sound.

I went into MCE on the computer, and told it I have a 5.1 setup, so that audio is setup right. Then I went to the speaker icon on the taskbar, right clicked and went to playback, and tried to set the PC for 5.1 audio here. But it seems the HDMI setup to the TV is only allowing me to use 2 channels, as if the HDMI can't deliver 5.1 surround to the set. I have gone into the TV's menu's and disabled the speakers, which made the audio come not from the TV speakers, but out of the sound bar. But I don't see any way to tell it to use the Toslink optical cable, and setup sound modes properly with the tv. :(

Is my problem that you can't send 5.1 from a computer to TV, then from TV to sound bar? There was no manual with the YAS-203, so I'll have to pull that up online. But I'm wondering if I just need to buy a USB Sound option with Toslink out, then send the audio from the PC directly to the sound bar, and if THAT wouldn't allow me to do the 5.1 for better sound quality on the sound bar.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your time!!!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Okay, hoping someone here can help me out. I'm a computer guy who likes to think I have some decent skills when it comes to TV's, Home Theater, etc... but sometimes I just need a little help. :)

The computer is a ASUS gaming laptop - G75. Only has an Nvidia 660M video card, so it's not top of the line. But I paid $750 for it on clearance from Best Buy several years ago, and after upgrading to better gaming rigs, I now have this setup as a Windows MCE computer in the bedroom, allowing to show Blu-Rays and play back movies on the LG 55" 3D LCD TV. This gave me options for watching stuff over the Internet, directly from the TV's Vudu app, etc.

As you might imagine, the sound wasn't so hot. Dialog was too quiet, music and explosions seemed too loud, and I wanted something better. So looking at sound bar options online, the Yamaha YAS-203 seemed pretty well reviewed. While normally $399, most places had been selling it at $299. I say HAD been because it was sold out most places. But I kept my eyes open, and found one that was listed as not in the original packaging, with all the accessories, for $239. Thinking it was worth a shot, I placed my order.

When it arrived today, some of the speaker still had plastic stuck to it, and it WAS in the original shipping box. But that box had been munched a little, so they shipped that box inside another one. It did have the remote, optical, and analog cables, as well as the sound bar and wireless sub. Didn't take very long to hook everything up, and sure enough... it is working. Sound isn't going to rival the Marantz receiver and Boston Acoustics smallest 5.1 surround speaker package I bought a few years ago... but if the dialog is clearer, and I'm not turning the volume UP for speaking and DOWN for everything else... you get the idea.

The one thing that confuses me is I'd like to use the sound bar in DD / DTS mode, but here's how things look.

Because the ASUS laptop doesn't have a toslink out, I'm going from the laptop to LG TV with HDMI. Then, because the sound bar doesn't have HDMI, I'm running audio from toslink out on the TV, to the input on the sound bar. This works, but the sound bar only shows forced Dolby Surround sound modes, and not the DTS / Digital light I know means I'm feeding the system with the best sound.

I went into MCE on the computer, and told it I have a 5.1 setup, so that audio is setup right. Then I went to the speaker icon on the taskbar, right clicked and went to playback, and tried to set the PC for 5.1 audio here. But it seems the HDMI setup to the TV is only allowing me to use 2 channels, as if the HDMI can't deliver 5.1 surround to the set. I have gone into the TV's menu's and disabled the speakers, which made the audio come not from the TV speakers, but out of the sound bar. But I don't see any way to tell it to use the Toslink optical cable, and setup sound modes properly with the tv. :(

Is my problem that you can't send 5.1 from a computer to TV, then from TV to sound bar? There was no manual with the YAS-203, so I'll have to pull that up online. But I'm wondering if I just need to buy a USB Sound option with Toslink out, then send the audio from the PC directly to the sound bar, and if THAT wouldn't allow me to do the 5.1 for better sound quality on the sound bar.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your time!!!
Most TVs will only produce 2 channel sound from the optical out unless the source is the internal tuner on the TV or in the case of a smart TV the apps on the TV. Sound from any HDMI input of the TV will be output as 2 channel from the optical out on the TV. This is the case for most TVs and you can not solve this with a setting. I am not familiar with USB sound options but it sounds like that may work for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts