AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a terrible buzzing noise, when I connect my computer audio out to my receiver. My computer has 3.5 mm mini plug output. I am converting to RCA and connecting to the tape input of my receiver. I can hear the audio content, but there is a significant buzzing in the signal. I have gone over the settings of the computer, and can surmise, it must be a grounding issue or something like that. Any ideas how to remedy this?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Try a 3 to 2 "cheater" plug if you think it's a ground loop. I had a similar problem on some active speakers and $2.11 later it's fixed!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by masicycle
Try a 3 to 2 "cheater" plug if you think it's a ground loop. I had a similar problem on some active speakers and $2.11 later it's fixed!
Is the cheater used on the PCs elec outlet or the receivers?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Staind -

Sorry for the late reply...

You should probably use the cheater on the receiver's outlet. That should kill the buzz.

Kevin.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Do yourself a favor and don't use a cheater plug. Grounded appliances are grounded for a reason, and groundloops can carry a rather significant current. Your best options are to use an optical link (no electrical path) or plug the computer and receiver into the same line conditioner/UPS/power strip/etc. Other options are to electrically connect the computer's and receiver's chassis with heavy gauge wire and add a 100ohm resistor to the signal connection path.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.