AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

I watch a lot of stuff on the computer but moved to a new house and would like to set up to pipe the computer over to the TV. I am assuming the best way to do this would be to run an S video cable and like a 3.5mm stereo audio cable from the computer to the tv. I want to do a decent job on it, so I'm going to run it through the attic and put a plate in, I guess using the leviton style snap ins. Is this the recommended way of doing this?

Thanks

On Edit: A coworker mentioned to me that there are some solutions to do this wirelessly, but I've never really seen any reviews on that type of setup, but would love to hear more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What types of inputs does your TV have? If S-video is the only way to go, your picture will come through, but there are better options out there. Then again, it also depends on the graphics card / display outputs on your computer.

Most newer HDTVs have a VGA input in the back. Some of the older models (pre HDMI) had a DVI input. HDMI is essentially a DVI + Audio cable, so a DVI to HDMI cable will work if your computer has the DVI (or HDMI) outputs for your HDMI capable HDTV.

As far as the audio, you can use the 3.5mm plug, that will work sufficient. Usually any "PC" inputs on TVs have a spot to plug in either a 3.5mm plug, or a stereo RCA plug (and you can accommodate that with a cheap stereo mini to RCA cord/adapter).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, TheZeke!

Well, obviously it would be nice to have a nicer connection; however, my computer is limited to S Video, although technically I've got 2 DVI outs on it so I guess 1 of them could go to the tv. On the other hand, my TV is a dinosaur, so I think my best option on that end is S Video.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even if your TV is a dino, you might still want to se a better connection than S-Video. Then again, if the only connection available is S-Video then no worries!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZeke /forum/post/14293887

Even if your TV is a dino, you might still want to se a better connection than S-Video. Then again, if the only connection available is S-Video then no worries!

I'll take a look at it and see what I have available.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like my only inputs for the tv would be the rca red/black/yellow, the standard coax connection, s video, and composite (what is it like red green, black?) Which one of those would be best?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts