AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a formula for determining optimal screen height like the riser calculator?

In my new house my Theater will be 15x25x12, I want 2 maybe 3 rows of seating.

The sweet spot will be the center of the 2nd row.

I plan on using a perforated screen and placing the 3 fronts behind the screen.

How high should the screen be?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie /forum/post/0

Is there a formula for determining optimal screen height like the riser calculator?

In my new house my Theater will be 15x25x12, I want 2 maybe 3 rows of seating.

The sweet spot will be the center of the 2nd row.

I plan on using a perforated screen and placing the 3 fronts behind the screen.

How high should the screen be?

Thanks

Generally speaking, screen height is more useful as a figure of limit. Physical discomfort sets in when you exceed 30 degrees vertical viewing angle. But since it's hard to exceed 30 degrees in a typical home theater at reasonable seating distances, a rule of thumb mentioned on the same Website that hosts the THX calculator is not to exceed 20 degrees.

First, determine where your seating will be. This may involve acoustic and aesthetic considerations. Then figure out what screen size you need to get a decent horizontal viewing angle in all rows (not too close in front, not too far in back). Somewhere in the range of 40+ to 20+, with the "too close" and "too far" evaluations depending heavily upon source/projector quality and personal preference.

Horizontal viewing angles can be calculated here:

http://whatsonhdtv.blogspot.com/2005...alculator.html

Then you have to do some design work to figure out how far up/down on the wall you're going to place your screen. And the important thing to consider here is "line of sight" for the back rows, as well as "vertical viewing angle" for the front row. Riser and screen height may need to be tinkered with. Also consider whether or not your screen leaves eough room on the sides for correct speaker placement.

You might find yourself having to adjust the screen size if one of these measurements doesn't work out for you.

In short, screen size and position is a part of design. There are lots of rules of thumb floating around to get you started, but most of them work much better when supplemented with an undertanding of multi-row theaters and firsthand experience.

·
Registered
37 Posts
oh jesus I haven't done this type of consulting in like 5 years but I seem to remember that you take the distance to the farthest viewer and divide by 8.

this will give you your screen height, seeing that you have a relatively small room I doubt this would matter. Hell for a room that size why not just go with LG's new 100" LCD? it would be more than enough for your HT.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An LCD TV? Surely you jest? I was thinking at least 144"wide screen which would allow 18" on each side for curtain stack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.