50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup is the following:

PC

Audioengine D1 DAC (via USB)

NAD C 326BEE Amp

DynAudio Excite X12 Speakers

Martin Logan Dynamo 500 Subwoofer

I am contemplating upgrading the DAC to the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, and was wondering if it was a worthwhile upgrade.

That is, is there enough of a difference between the D1 and the DacMagic to make a difference in what I hear? I certainly noticed a difference when I added the D1 DAC, but it was not some awe-inspiring difference. It was worth $170, for sure, but will the DM+ be worth another $600? Should I wait a bit - which could be a long time from now - and buy a better $1000 DAC?

Yes, I know that I could return the DM, but I know myself fairly well and would almost certainly not return it once I had it in my hands.

Yes, I understand this is very subjective. I just don't have that try-and-return mentality or willpower, so I have to ask. And I understand what a DAC does, but not what makes two DACs different, or why.

Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
The answer is no, the new DAC won't sound any different than the old one in a bias controlled listening comparison. There will be differences in specifications and cosmetics but not in sound quality. In a subjective, sighted comparison, it may well sound different. Dacs are Dacs for the past 15 years or so. Remember, audiophilia is a journey with no destination.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks. I did some more research about DAC comparisons in general, rather then specific ones, and it seems like many/most agree with your statements.

I think I'll spend the $600 on room acoustics...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts