AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching Conan more often now that I have an HDTV. I watch it OTA in Tucson.

It seems that the broadcast is plagued by mpeg artifacts or macroblocking. I'm not too sure of correct term. But the effect is that during scene changes, often the image gets real blocky for a partial second. I think I've noticed similar problems during NASCAR, but Leno seemed OK. The few episodal HD shows I've watched seemed OK too, but I haven't watched much of Leno or episodal TV, seeing that it's summer and it's all reruns.

Is this a problem with Conan, NBC, or the local station?

Thanks.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think it's your local station. My local seems to offer very good 1080i quality on Connan.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Conan is pretty much tapeless and is edited in uncompressed HD format. It is one of the better shows quality wise on network tv.

(Go Saluki's... SIU alum)

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
DVRed Thursday's Conan with a newly installed RCN dual-tuner box. HD PQ seemed great, although RCN's head end may have a fiber feed in Manhattan. Believe WNBC-DT has a weather subchannel here, but not sure if a fiber feed would provide a significantly higher Conan bit rate, or if RCN is using OTA pickup whether the weather subchannel actually is diminishing Conan's video payload bit rate.

Wish they'd taken HD cameras out for their lunatic 'golf outing', like they did with an earlier hilarious visit with Central Park bird watchers, but they snapped photos instead.* -- John

*Conan needs an HD 'worm-hole port' on the set so they can jump anywhere for HD tricks, although they seem pretty flexible with the gimmicks as is. Not a regular viewer, but recall a recent stunt where he lifted the carpet near his desk revealing molten, swirling lava.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I just posted the following on the Letterman thread when the topic of Conan picture quality came up, but I'll repeat it here as even being more applicable in this thread:

The picture on Conan letterboxed and framed for HD is great; however, the problem is that the picture is too centered. For example, you rarely see more than the upper half of a guest. When an attractive woman is on the show, I would like to see more than the waist up on occasion. The close-ups are great, but I would like to see some variety in the shots.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have HD through Comcast, and Conan looks pretty terrible. I see a lot of compression artifacts.

It may be all of the NBC shows for me, but I don't watch NBC much.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Conan is the best looking HD on NBC. Especially coming after Leno, it looks great. I think you're talking about like when they come in from commercials and the camera focuses in on Conan, there's a tad bit of blocking there, but nothing terrible here.

The worst I've seen the PQ on Conan was not in studio, but when he went bird-watching. That got pretty blocky in parts.

The golf segment last night, they're all doctored photos, but I love that segment. It would have been great to do an actual conan-on-location skit at a golf course :p Oh, and I love all the commercial bumpers..

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
No, I'm not talking about technical problems, I just think two foot wide perfectly focused closeup shot of his pasty, already oversized head is downright scary.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have to agree that Conan might be the best HD period. This or Leno is a tossup to me.

Any issues with the PQ are definitely local issues.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate
No, I'm not talking about technical problems, I just think two foot wide perfectly focused closeup shot of his pasty, already oversized head is downright scary.
heh, i was referring to the thread starter's post..

...but in the Conan thread there are some awesomely terrifying HD screencaps of Conan's head. I remember he told the camera guy to "get in tight" :eek:

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlu
heh, i was referring to the thread starter's post..

...but in the Conan thread there are some awesomely terrifying HD screencaps of Conan's head. I remember he told the camera guy to "get in tight" :eek:

That was the best shot of a face I've seen to date on HD. Now if we could just get those shots of Halle Berry, Jessica Alba, etc. I don't think the stars would want that level of scrutiny however. But that is an example of HD where you could literally see a star's face better than if you were standing a few feet in front of them in person.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the feedback.

Has anyone had much luck with getting a local station improve their PQ? Would complaining to NBC be helpful or should I just pester the local station?

I think it probably has to do the SD multicast on 4.2 but I really don't know.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastyfries
I've been watching Conan more often now that I have an HDTV. I watch it OTA in Tucson.

It seems that the broadcast is plagued by mpeg artifacts or macroblocking. I'm not too sure of correct term. But the effect is that during scene changes, often the image gets real blocky for a partial second. I think I've noticed similar problems during NASCAR, but Leno seemed OK. The few episodal HD shows I've watched seemed OK too, but I haven't watched much of Leno or episodal TV, seeing that it's summer and it's all reruns.

Is this a problem with Conan, NBC, or the local station?

Thanks.
I agree with Toastyfries.

Some scene changes on Conan look blurry for 1/2 to 1 second and then return to HD clarity.

Only a couple of times during the show.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quote:
For example, you rarely see more than the upper half of a guest.
So in other words, you want them to go back to 4:3 aspect ratio, or what, tilt the camera down and show just the boobs and legs? I have to disagree since I think the camera work and direction on Conan's show is great, and it often adds a lot to the comedy. The interview subjects are generally shot quite nicely as well, and there seem to be enough wide shots sprinkled in to see the lower half of the guest. It looks a lot better than Leno, which doesn't look good in either 4:3 or 16:9, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_little
So in other words, you want them to go back to 4:3 aspect ratio, or what, tilt the camera down and show just the boobs and legs? I have to disagree since I think the camera work and direction on Conan's show is great, and it often adds a lot to the comedy. The interview subjects are generally shot quite nicely as well, and there seem to be enough wide shots sprinkled in to see the lower half of the guest. It looks a lot better than Leno, which doesn't look good in either 4:3 or 16:9, in my opinion.
I have seen several women on the show where the camera never showed much if any of their figure below their waist; definitely couldn't see what shoes they were wearing, even when they were introduced and walked over to the sofa. Never happens on Leno. But that's just me; I like to see an attractive woman's legs and the heels she is wearing. It's a matter of camera angle and focus, not aspect ratio.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.