AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know 8 and midbass dont really go together, but dealing with size constrictions, its what fits.

More specifically looking at building a WCW center with the concentric8 and actively crossing over to the dual 8s. The Max dimensions of the overall speaker can be are 39"w x 10"h x 19"d.

What would you do?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I have the concentric 8's and think they sound amazing, but wish there was a bit more on the mid to low end (maybe they're just too damn clean). I toyed with a similar idea a long time ago and mentioned it to John (aka tux). I was thinking about doing an MTM with the Concentric 8's with 2 anarchy woofers. I am not a speaker designer, so I had no idea if it was feasible or even a good idea. Life caught up to me, so I never had a chance to explore this, but it would be fun to see what people come up with.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
I know 8 and midbass dont really go together, but dealing with size constrictions, its what fits.

More specifically looking at building a WCW center with the concentric8 and actively crossing over to the dual 8s. The Max dimensions of the overall speaker can be are 39"w x 10"h x 19"d.

What would you do?
It depends on how low and loud you want it to go. With an active xover, and I assume EQ, you could take just about any pro 8" driver, whack a pair in, and EQ them flat to 60Hz or so. I'd work out the SPL I wanted at the lowest frequency desired and back calculate from there, look at various drivers and select. You could do it in a simulator too.

If for some reason EQ is not available, then I'd look at one of the Dayton reference series drivers like the RS210.

Out of curiosity, I'm working on a roughly similar 4 way for the bedroom, just to use up drivers and amps I have laying around unused. 2 TD10M, Faital 6HX150 coax and a pair of Adire Shiva/ch to handle

·
Banned
233 Posts
Talk to Erich or Matt about the new custom Eminence 8" hemp woofer or the custom 8" used in the 893. Not saying you can purchase them ala carte from him but a good option. B&C has a new 8" driver out the 8MBX51 which is very efficient and Will generously perform to 60hz. I personally like the 8MB500 by 18sounds. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: pgwalsh

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hemp 8s sound interesting if they can work in about 1cf ea ported tuned to 60hz. I wanted to do ported as im under the impression that it has more tactile response at tuning vs sealed.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I'll throw this out there

The Concentric 8 is rated at 93dB 1w/1m and the dual 8" custom drivers in the 893 are also rated at 93dB 1w/1m so a perfect fit? Don't forget the new 8" driver for the HTM-8 although two of them would likely be 4 ohms but you said active so no issues turning them down if need be.

The man to ask is Erich since he has plenty of experience with the 893 and could give advise--good luck and keep us posted how this all plays out. :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also could if I had, fit small 10s in which I mean the total outer diameter of the frame is 10" if I ran it up to the very edge of the box. It would be flush mounted in my console so that would increase the baffle overall.

Sent an email to Erich

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
You're about 1.65" away from being able to use the Stereo Integrity HST-11's

Those are gonna be my first build but my limit is 12"

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're about 1.65" away from being able to use the Stereo Integrity HST-11's

Those are gonna be my first build but my limit is 12"
1.65 sounds like its not that far away but the attached console is what its going into and Im not going to cut it up, the center opening is 10 1/16" tall opening.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Hemp 8s sound interesting if they can work in about 1cf ea ported tuned to 60hz. I wanted to do ported as im under the impression that it has more tactile response at tuning vs sealed.
If you're driving the conentric 8 in a sealed enclosure I'd stay away from driving the other 2 divers in a ported enclosure. It'll be simpler to work with all 3 sealed.

I'll throw this out there

The Concentric 8 is rated at 93dB 1w/1m and the dual 8" custom drivers in the 893 are also rated at 93dB 1w/1m so a perfect fit? Don't forget the new 8" driver for the HTM-8 although two of them would likely be 4 ohms but you said active so no issues turning them down if need be.

The man to ask is Erich since he has plenty of experience with the 893 and could give advise--good luck and keep us posted how this all plays out. :)
This is a good idea. @VisionxOrb, have you contacted Erich or Matt?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're driving the conentric 8 in a sealed enclosure I'd stay away from driving the other 2 divers in a ported enclosure. It'll be simpler to work with all 3 sealed.

This is a good idea. @VisionxOrb, have you contacted Erich or Matt?
I sent an email to @Erich H last night I think, not sure lol have the kids myself this weekend as the wife is out of town and cant keep track of time.

Why would you say to not keep the con8 sealed. I would think you would want to keep the back waves from the other woofers from interacting with it.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I sent an email to @Erich H last night I think, not sure lol have the kids myself this weekend as the wife is out of town and cant keep track of time.

Why would you say to not keep the con8 sealed. I would think you would want to keep the back waves from the other woofers from interacting with it.
I didn't say that, but if that's the way it is interpreted then I need to correct how I said it. I meant all 3 should be kept sealed, unless you plan to crossover to the concentric 8 where the other two driver's peak. So if you have your two 8's going from 60hz to 300hz and the concentric from 300 up, then that should be ok. Mixing ported and sealed within the same frequency range will be problematic. At least that's the case with subs and I don't know if that applies to higher frequency woofers.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't say that, but if that's the way it is interpreted then I need to correct how I said it. I meant all 3 should be kept sealed, unless you plan to crossover to the concentric 8 where the other two driver's peak. So if you have your two 8's going from 60hz to 300hz and the concentric from 300 up, then that should be ok. Mixing ported and sealed within the same frequency range will be problematic. At least that's the case with subs and I don't know if that applies to higher frequency woofers.
60-300 for the ported 8s and the 300up for the con8 is plan, or atleast around the 300hz area.

Porting changes the phase around tune so I would think would want to NOT port the higher freq drivers unless the tuning was low enough to not interfere with the crossover point but then at that point I would think the porting would be useless.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I've got a set of three C8s that are going to be the new L/C/R in my bedroom. Visionx, is there any particular performance goal you have in mind for your build? I've been modeling the C8s and have noticed that I can pick up serveral dB of output in the 100 Hz area by porting them with a highish tune.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
60-300 for the ported 8s and the 300up for the con8 is plan, or atleast around the 300hz area.

Porting changes the phase around tune so I would think would want to NOT port the higher freq drivers unless the tuning was low enough to not interfere with the crossover point but then at that point I would think the porting would be useless.
Did anything come of your quest? Have you looked into the Dayton Audio RS225-8, they seem to be quite good.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did anything come of your quest? Have you looked into the Dayton Audio RS225-8, they seem to be quite good.
One option I did Look at was the rs225p-4, was thinking 2 wired in series
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs225p-4-8-reference-paper-woofer-4-ohm--295-377

However right before I ordered the Concentric 8 I took my radian 5210 of the shelf which was my original plan but thought 10.5 was going to be to much to cut to fit properly. Turned out radians spec is wrong and is only 10.25 diameter so I only need to trim 1/8" off the top and bottom which should be relatively easy. Now the hard part is sourcing a good secret sauce crossover for it.

I designed a box on paper that use a 39" front baffle that would basically sit flush with the entire opening of the console so it would become part of the baffle. currently 1.65 cf net tuned to 48hz with 2 2" precision ports flanking the woofer on the left and right if I decide to use the 5210 without midbass support.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs225p-4-8-reference-paper-woofer-4-ohm--295-377

However right before I ordered the Concentric 8 I took my radian 5210 of the shelf which was my original plan but thought 10.5 was going to be to much to cut to fit properly. Turned out radians spec is wrong and is only 10.25 diameter so I only need to trim 1/8" off the top and bottom which should be relatively easy. Now the hard part is sourcing a good secret sauce crossover for it.

I designed a box on paper that use a 39" front baffle that would basically sit flush with the entire opening of the console so it would become part of the baffle. currently 1.65 cf net tuned to 48hz with 2 2" precision ports flanking the woofer on the left and right if I decide to use the 5210 without midbass support.
Cool... I'm glad it worked out for you.

Did you hear back from Erich or Matt?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
However right before I ordered the Concentric 8 I took my radian 5210 of the shelf which was my original plan but thought 10.5 was going to be to much to cut to fit properly. Turned out radians spec is wrong and is only 10.25 diameter so I only need to trim 1/8" off the top and bottom which should be relatively easy.
A thought: Rather than trim the driver, can you scoot the driver up 1/4" and let the frame of the driver stick up above the top edge of the baffle and slightly overlap the front of the TV stand. Looks like you just barely might have enough meat on the baffle to make it work that way. Or if you build the speaker into the stand rather than building a speaker that fits into the stand, it should definitely work.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

I think @mtg90 designed a crossover for the 5210 a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts