AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help... I'm stuck in analysis paralysis between a 42" vs 50" screen. For the 42" it would be the Panny ED, for the 50" the Panny HD - both commercial versions.

I will be watching ~50% SD material, via *analog* cable. I think it's a pretty clean cable signal... it looks very good on my current 45" RPTV (4:3).

I really want the 50" because I think the 42" will be too small for 2.35:1 DVDs. But i dont want to compromise on SD quality... which will look better on the EDTV and smaller screen. Viewing distance will be 12'.

Any opinions? How much worse will SD look on the 50" HD?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the th-50phd6uy with digital cable, my viewing distance is about 8', to me cable is fuzzy looking and hd is fantastic, i dont know if its because its easy to switch back and forth to compare or what but i swear i had a clearer picture for most channels on my old tv. Also at 8' i'm to close for comfortable viewing. I'd say try and be at least 12' for a 50". I'm going to start over.... sigh with this adventure again and now wonder if i should just get the th-42pwd6uy instead of the th-42phd6uy, i wonder if something i read about having to up-convert to 1024 is making regular channels look fuzzy. Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't understand all these discussions about poor SD on the Panny 50" HD. I have analog and digital cable along with HD cable. Yes, the HD feed looks fantastic and the Digital does looks better than the Analog. But in no way is the analog feed unacceptable, in fact I would say that it is almost as good as my 36"CRT screen.

Right now I'm watching the football game on the regular FOX channel and it looks as good as any CRT screen I've seen at 12 feet (my normal viewing distance). I don't really see any difference at distance greater than about 5 feet and even then the picture is good on the PDP.

I will say that when I first moved into my current house, I had the cable company replace the old cables in the house and made sure that I was getting the best feed that I could from them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm struggling with the same decision - but for a completely different reason.

I've been watching most TV on a 35" direct view set, and watching DVD's on my Sony 10HT on a 108" diagonal screen. However, I recently upgraded to HDTV, which is a bit wasted on the 35" set (what with it not being 16:9, not supporting anything beyond 480i, etc). I've been using the projector for HDTV stuff too, but that isn't going to work much longer, as my room isn't light controlled, and once spring hits the project is pretty useless until 9pm or so. Being a hard-working, middle-aged parent of a very young child, I'm falling asleep at 9:15, and I'd like to get more than 15 minutes of value from this whole mess...

Being spoiled by the projector screen, I'd like to get something as big as possible. Due to room configurations, RPTV's (of all sorts) are out, and it appears that plasma is my only option. While I think the 50" would be sufficient - I'm not 100% sure. However, I'm not willing to spring for one of the new 60" plus units until the price gets a bit more reasonable (and the units have a bit more time to mature as well).

So here is where my head is going...

1) Get the Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY or similar, sell the projector to help defray costs, and be done with it.

2) Get the Panasonic TH-42PHD6UY, keep the projector for movies at night. When the 60" plus units are affordable, I can simply move the 42" to the bedroom.

But then I'm thinking, well if I'm only going 42", why not consider EDTV and save another $1500 or so, which leads me to:

3) Get the Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY, and follow the same path as #2.

So my questions...

1 - Is there anyone that has moved from large projection screens to a 50", and how do you feel about that?

2 - Is there anyone with both HDTV and EDTV plasmas, and what are your thoughts on HTDV content on an EDTV unit as compared to the HDTV unit?

Thanks much...

Regards,

Jeff

·
Registered
274 Posts
Jeff

For movies you can't beat front screen projectors. I have a Studio Experience HD13 (Sanyo PLV60) and it easily beats the Pioneer 57" Elite 630 for total movie experience. Watching TV is another story. The Pioneer easily bests the projector and all my TV watching is done on the Pioneer Elite or other direct view TV's. I looked at both the 42" and 50" plasma for my bedroom. I decided on the 50" but for any reason if I were to buy the 42" the ED version makes more sense due to better scaling of the pixels =better picture at cheaper cost. Like that you can keep your projector too.

42" plasma for TV viewing and the Sony for movies. Best of both the worlds in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.