AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I've been buying DVD concerts. Multi-channel music is great when the mix is good, but the disc turns into a coaster when it stinks. It gets to be an expensive crapshoot when about half these DVD's get put on the back shelf and forgotten after one play. You know the bad ones... no dynamics, instruments dominating in one the surrounds, just a muddled mess and, right away about 3 bars into the first song, you know the cd you have of this group sounds much better in stereo. I've come to expect poor remixes of older music, but many of these poor mixes are less than 5 years old. I just recently purchased The Moody Blues, "Hall of Fame". While it does sound good, it could have been much better. This DVD was made in 2000-2001 and while it advertised DTS on the case, it's only 5.0! Why would there not be an LFE track? Ronnie Milsap is also 5.0. I no longer assume it's 5.1 channel sound just because it says DTS even on recent live recordings.

Another gripe is a few DVD's play as much as 10db softer than normal. For instance, Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" sounds good, but I have to crank my amp 8db louder to get the same sound levels as most other music. Alabama's 41 hits plays quiet also, except when you toggle to the menu to select another song, the damn background music is now deafening because it's not quasi muted like the songs. Are my copies bad or is this typical of these disks?

While I grew up listening to stereo and still enjoy music that way, a well mixed concert in 5.1 sounds awesome and so very easy to get immersed into. My downfall is the music I like was made 30-35 years ago and I either get reunion concerts with a bunch of old farts my age that can't sing anymore or poorly remixed old concerts that don't do anything for me in a surround environment.

OK.. venting mode off.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I hear ya...

I don't take chances anymore with concert DVD's.

If your old enuf to remember Todd Rundgren for stuff other than "Hello It's Me" or "Bang The Drum" then check out...

Todd Rundgren - Live in Japan

Utopia - Redux 1992 Live in Japan

They're not DTS but solid 5.1 with attractive 4:3 video.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turbobuick86
... This DVD was made in 2000-2001 and while it advertised DTS on the case, it's only 5.0! Why would there not be an LFE track? Ronnie Milsap is also 5.0. I no longer assume it's 5.1 channel sound just because it says DTS even on recent live recordings. ...

OK.. venting mode off.
DTS can have from 1 to 6.1 channels. The LEF channel is used for effects (like explosions) and is not needed in music. Multi channel music is best reproduced by 5 identical full range speakers. Of course almost no one has this setup for a HT system. If your speakers are not capable of producing full range (lows) sound (THX and systems with dipoles), your reciver (or processor) will redirect low frequency to your sub giving you a LEF channel.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Try Billy Idol Storytellers. The best DTS concert I've heard yet.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I own the Storyteller and HFO disks already, both are very good. If only they'd rent concerts like movies, then we'd get a chance to see if they are worth owning.

Terry

·
Registered
446 Posts
"If only they'd rent concerts like movies, then we'd get a chance to see if they are worth owning"

Netflix has a ton of them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It used to bother me after purchasing a concert DVD, later to discover it was missing the .1 channel. The low frequencies are directed to your sub and there is no noticeable difference - to my ears. Alice Cooper's DVD is a perfect example of a 5.0 mix that has plenty of solid bass and sounds great. Not to mention that if you have a CRT pj the blacks are awesome creating the illusion images leaving the screen and entering your room. (no mind enhancers here!)

·
Registered
396 Posts
just a quick warning about the "Up in Smoke Tour" in dts.....one of the worst audio mixes I've ever heard. it almost sounded sub-"cassette tape" quality. very disappointed in this dvd!

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ndoggac
just a quick warning about the "Up in Smoke Tour" in dts.....one of the worst audio mixes I've ever heard. it almost sounded sub-"cassette tape" quality. very disappointed in this dvd!
"I wanted to make a good mix for the DVD-- but then I got high..."

Fred

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.