AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to have 3 rows of lighting over our stage with 5 lights in each row going between rafters which is spacing the rows 2' apart.

We want them to be different colors and turn on and off to the music if possible so do we need seperate wire runs to each individual light and what sort of contraption could operate the lights without being a human?

We have 25 low voltage can light fixtures ( with transformer) do they make colored glass discs instead of clear and do you pack insulation around these or leave it out about a foot?

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,596 Posts
Hey dude.

When I was in college I found the plans for a four channel "color organ" in an electronics magazine. Found the parts at a local electronics house.

For lights I used 8 strings of christmas lights, red, blue, green and white.

I got a a 4 x 8 sheet of peg board and covered it in the shiney side out aluminum foil. Poked the lights through holes that I enlarged.

Make a long story short it was a hit and my 5 roommates and I created a music room with 4 channel sound, lots of low seating. When we had a party it was hard to get people to leave, they were hypnotized. Early Santana worked great.

Thanks for the flash back to 1969.

Now for your questions, Depending on how many channels of control you want will determine the number of wire runs. I found that each color on a separate channel worked best.

Here is some more reading.

http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/T...olorOrgan.html

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are all pretty cool but we need this sort of thing that powers real lights even though they are low voltage in the can they need 110 at the box, I know Ive seen these at wedding receptions and such on stands but I am having trouble finding ones that handle current

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,596 Posts
1) On that link there are some kits that handle 600 -800 watts of line voltage per channel. If that's not enough you could use a bank of them.

http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/T...n.html#KitLine

2) I was using line voltage lights.

3) I'm assuming that those low voltage lights you are planning on using have transformers and I'm not sure how well they will handle a pulsating energy source. For maximum effect you want lights that have a very quick response time to go on an off in time with the music.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.