AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. The mkv thread has gotten really long, so I'd like to ask those who have been keeping up for a concise software list and instruction set to manage my movie backups.

I have a mix of DVD, HD-DVD and BD movies. I would like to rip them, have the option to compress them down, and then store them in .mkv format.

My setup: ATI 4850, LG combo drive, 8400 Dual Core, AnyDVD-HD, PDVD 7.3, Vista 64-bit (I prefer to run HTPC functions in VMC).

Questions:

1. What software is recommended to do this?

2. Is it possible to get a couple concise instructions to perform the process with the recommended software, or it really complicated? A streamlined process without too much manual intervention would be preferred.

3. When properly converted to FLAC, will playback of HD audio come through my HDMI connection via LPCM with full bit-depth?

4. Is there a way to have Media Player (within Media Center) play .mkv files? I would like to use the Media Browser plug-in for all my movies.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
138 Posts
as far as hddvd and blueray, the mkv thread actually has a very concise set of guides right on the first page -

i tried the guide#4 (called advanced but i thought it was actually simpler) which allowed me to have an mkv built from a blueray in no time at all.

the guide basically (in shorter terms) just says how to read the disk, pull off the things you want (main video,audio, etc) and then combine them into a new file for you to store on your hard drive

there is also a guide for downscaling the 1080p video tracks to 720p to save space. a little more complicated but not too bad.

it definitely looks more overwhelming that it actually is (the guides are actually pretty short, but the screen shots make them look longer
)

give them a shot and ask some questions if something doesnt work for you

for dvd, if you want to compress them (as opposed to just ripping the full quality video) i just use handbrake - loads a dvd, select the audio track and filename and some basic options, and click start - a few hours later i have an mkv

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.