AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always heard you guys recommend DRYLOCK.

Stopped by LOWEs today, and saw a few different offerings...

DRYLOCK

-latex based

-oil based

SunnyDRY

-powder type stuff

The DRYLOCK was MUCH more expensive. Is it that much better?

I also see, it recommends not applying when the temperature is below 50°.

Is that outside temp or room temp? I also see and understand that you should have adequate ventilaton (windows open, fan, etc), but seeing as how it is winter and 30° outside, that isn't an option. Should I just push the start of my project back even further into the summer? I see the Latex based forumla is low odor.

My basement has no water problems what-so-ever. It is a newer home (1yr) and is walkout which relieves a lot of the water pressure on the foundation. However, I would still like to apply something to prevent any future problems.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If you've had heavy rains and have not noticed any dampness, I wouldn't bother with the Drylock.

Plus with your house being so new, I'd let the basement/concrete cure a little longer -of course that will only delay plans.

If you have good drainage around your house (no potential problems) I'd think you'd only be wasting money.

Jasman

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree with Jasman. If your house is that new and you have no problems. I would just put up the vapor barrior and call it a day. Not really any need for the drylock.

Just an FYI however. The more expensive Drylock paint IS worth the cash. They ARE refering to the temp of the place that is receivng the paint so yes you could paint the wall with it dispite the fact that its really, really cold outside. I would however turn up the heat in that area when you do it. If you do.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah, don't worry about drylock. I have a new home too and considered using some sort of product to "prevent any future problems." I even went to HD to buy it and was told to save my money by the guys in the paint department. New house, no leaks, no need to worry.

John Smith

P.S. I'm not really John Smith. I just changed my name just in case your new home theater has a water related accident and you're looking to sue those that handed out misguided advice on the AVS forum ;)

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,205 Posts
This is the other opinion.

I never had a leak and went ahead and sealed my one year old walkout basement walls with two coats of the latex DRYLOCK.

In my case I noticed a "perceived" (I didn't measure it) immediate reduction in the rooms humidity. Concrete is porous and I attributed the reduction in humidity to the sealing of the walls.

The 50 degrees applies to the room temperature and You can just crack a window with the latex version and put a fan blowing out.

I think I used 4 or 5 of the 5 gallon buckets for my basement. I put it on with a very long nap roller than used a stiff brush to force it into every little nook and cranny. The second coat just required the roller.

As for the advice you get at HD it's not always the best. I recently installed a sink p-trap and couldn't get it to stop leaking. I returned to the store for plan B and while I was looking for an alternative trap the orange vest guy said to just put some of this here $5 dollar a roll waterproof tape on it.

I went to Ace and bought a different brand of P-trap it cost $2 more than the $3 cheap HD trap but it didn't leak.

Leaks in basements sometimes take years to develop. Your landscaping grows, you put on a deck, change a sidewalk to brick pavers, a gutter starts leaking, etc etc. If you are going to make a substantial investment in a basement finishing project take the precaution.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, I'm with Big Mouth on this one. I have a brand new home and am using Drylock. Compared to the thousands I'm spending, $80 for Drylock seems a little irrelevant. (Especially since I would rather have a basement painted with Drylock and not need it, then a wet basement with drywall already up and want it.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.