AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three of the four walls in the theater room I am getting ready to begin construction on are concrete foundation walls. My plan for the fourth wall is a double-studded wall (not offset--actually 2 separate 2x4 frames). This wall will use resilient channel with a sheet of 5/8" drywall, then green glue, then a sheet of 1/2". The wall will be insulated with R-13 with a sheet of 5/8" on the back side. There will be about a 1" gap, and then the 2nd studded wall will have R13 and 5/8" drywall on the back side. Your thoughts on this?

My big question is what I need to do with the other 3 walls (against the concrete). For budget reasons, I was thinking about only doing a 2x4 wall with R-13, resilient channel, and one sheet of 5/8" drywall? What do the soundproofing and acoustic gods have to say about this?

One more thing, what can I use to sandwich between the studded walls and the floor joists above? Some sort of foam? Again, budget is going to limit me to a certain extent (room within a room was dropped a while back). Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I've got a similar setup with 3 1/2 walls being concrete. I went ahead with a single 2x4 wall, R-19 insullation, and one sheet drywall. Didn't use the RC. My drywall was then covered with OC703 1" to about 48" high and the rest poly batting, both covered with GOM. If I'm standing on the other side, I can't hear a thing from the theater. My ceiling was filled with R-30 about 12" deep and covered with two layers of drywall. The only sounds I can hear upstairs are through my vents. (the main HVAC trunk is in the ceiling above the theater.)

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
I don't remember the science behind it, but I frequently see Dennis Erskine strongly recomend against using resiliant channel. It has something to do with it working okay for high's and mid' but making isolation of bass worse. Might want to run a search or two to dig up the particulars. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMac
Three of the four walls in the theater room I am getting ready to begin construction on are concrete foundation walls. My plan for the fourth wall is a double-studded wall (not offset--actually 2 separate 2x4 frames). This wall will use resilient channel with a sheet of 5/8" drywall, then green glue, then a sheet of 1/2". The wall will be insulated with R-13 with a sheet of 5/8" on the back side. There will be about a 1" gap, and then the 2nd studded wall will have R13 and 5/8" drywall on the back side. Your thoughts on this?

My big question is what I need to do with the other 3 walls (against the concrete). For budget reasons, I was thinking about only doing a 2x4 wall with R-13, resilient channel, and one sheet of 5/8" drywall? What do the soundproofing and acoustic gods have to say about this?

One more thing, what can I use to sandwich between the studded walls and the floor joists above? Some sort of foam? Again, budget is going to limit me to a certain extent (room within a room was dropped a while back). Thanks for your thoughts!

Others could tell you better than I, but I would double drywall all four walls, not just the wall that is not concrete.

I would use, 2X4 walls along the concrete walls and double 2x4 walls where it is open like you are planning on doing.

But I would use 5/8 inch drywall, then green glue, then a layer of 1/2 inch dry wall on all four of your walls.

Are you going to do a floating ceiling? I would strongly recommend double drywall and green glue above as well.

I have heard Dennis and others compare sound control with the likes of a fish aquarium. (Pretty good analogy) If there is a crack in the aquarium, water is going to leak out. The same goes with the room. If there is a weak link, sound will escape.

Your method would perhaps work well for mids and highs, but low bass will leak out of that room like a sieve.

Craig

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Based on your comments and what I was reading last night, I think I may dump the RC. It seems like there is too much possibility for it to cause a problem. I'll have to think about doing double sheets of drywall all the way around, too.

Has anyone used Green Glue between the studs and the 1st layer of drywall (instead of RC)? If so, how has that performed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.