AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster. Forgive me if this has already been answered, but my Search-Fu has failed me.

Currently, I use a Hauppage USB Tuner to DVR over-the-air TV signals. I noticed that Time Warner Austin provides analog cable (no STB needed) when you sign up for internet only service (it's too hard for them to filter it out).

Is it possible to install a second tuner to DVR analog cable and still DVR the digital over-the-air High Def signals on a single Windows Media Center 7 home theater PC?

Also, am I correct that analog cable (no STB) will be Standard Def only?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
You might encounter digital rights management, (DRM) issues.

I think a microsoft program called PlayReady governs this. I call PlayReady Microsoft Cripple-your-computer. I might be being unfair because I do not fully understand what PlayReady does. Go to to Control Panel- programs and see if PlayReady is installed on your computer.

Next, I would suggest you search this forum using the name of the second tuner you want to use and see what you turn up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Play Ready will disable DVRing shows that have that flag set. That may or may not be a problem here and doesn't quite address the question I'm asking.

Thanks for the reminder on that!

I'd not picked a tuner yet because the limit I'm running into would be with Windows. I know that if I have "2 Digital Tuners" or "2 Analog Tuners" they must have the same source. When it's mixed, I can't find what Windows does about it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yes, 7mc is perfect for doing what you want to do. It is exactly the same setup that I have. I have an antenna for ATSC over the air HD stations with a HD Home Run networked tuner. I also have an older Hauppauge PVR-500 NTSC card for std cable (low def, 480p only).

With the proper tuner, you should also be able to tune whatever unencryted QAM channels are on your cable signal. These will mostly be the same channels that you get with the antenna.

I would recommend the dual tuner Hauppauge HVR-2250 as a tuner option for you for NTSC std cable.

Good luck, Stan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.