AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excerpted from Broadcasting & Cable, by Bill McConnell

A community association cannot prevent installation of a direct-broadcast satellite dish on a condo owner's roof, the Federal Communications Commission said Monday.

The FCC also said its previous rulings also debunk the notion that access rights of neighbors or other third parties nullify an owners' usage rights.

A 1996 FCC rule gives property owners and tenants the right to install DBS dishes on balconies, walls and other property within their exclusive use or control.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
"within their exclusive use or control"

is usually the catch-22.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Could someone elaborate on this? I cannot get the article, and, I assume if it was something new the FCC would have posted it on their website. Is this some new ruling?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
So, nothing different.....they just affirmed the FACT that he was right all along. Good for the FCC. We should keep copies of these things, to show the HOAs and landlords.

I just use the power line ground (3rd wire) for everything, including the TV antennas. But, I'm on a balcony with a roof over it, so (hopefully) I don't have any more exposure to lightning than anything inside the apartment.

If I ever get back to doing some serious shortwave, I may run a ground down the side of the building to a rod, hidden in the bushes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ken,

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is a power line ground ? I am going from my dish into a powered 5x8 switch that is plugged into a transformer then a 3 pronged surge protector. Is that a power line ground ?

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can follow the entire drama overe here.

I've been watching it for the past year or so!

Antenna Thread

Sounds like his HOA is now appealing the ruling!

I feel for the guy. I just slapped mine up -- even though we had a rule saying we couldn't. Fortunately for me we don't have an overbearing HOA and I own my roof!

So now i'm protected again because of this ruling!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Just to re-iterate - the OTARD covers OTA antennas as well as DBS dishes.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Just read the ruling - a total slam-dunk for the homeowner (as we all knew it should be). And this particular ruling was for a townhome community - never mind for a standalone house.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
The 3rd wire is the round, slightly longer pin on a power plug.....sometimes called the "safety ground". It should be connected back to the system ground in the breaker panel. That's probably the best ground you may have in a multi-story residence. But, of course, a separate ground, all the way back to the building's grounding electrode ("big honkin' ground stake") is always best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.