Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a question that hopefully someone will either be able to answer, or else refer me to a web site that might have the answer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The TV antenna in our 48 unit condo complex in Pasadena, California is in pretty bad shape. Some thought was given to replacing it. It is connected to a distribution system that was built in 1978 along with the condo. Each of the units has one of the old type 75 Ohm(?) connectors where you have two screws that you then run to your TV.

I am wondering if this old system will support the distribution of digital programming when the FCC switch takes effect at the end of 2006?

A DirecTv system was recently also installed in our building, which is piggybacked onto the calbe TV distribution system. The 'home runs' are I believe RJ-6(?) standard cable TV cables. The cable company provides digital cable over these lines. DirecTv, as part of their installation, put up an over the air antenna and they combine the over the air signal and the DirecTv programming and deliver that combined signal over the cable wiring to individual units. It may be that we will just use that system starting when the analog broadcasts stop.

Robert

·
Registered
469 Posts
Robert: Judging from the age of that system, you probably don't have RG-6, which is what you really need for either Cable or Satellite. If you have wall plates with 2 screws, you may have 300 ohm flat cable which would be unacceptable for cable or satellite. You will need to take off the wall plate and examine the cable to see exactly what it is. You can also go to the headend and determine if they used RG-6. RG-59 is really not acceptable for Cable or Satellite.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.