AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run conduit over my concrete floor to reach reclining seats and possibly cord lighting aroung a raised couch platform. This conduit will be underneath the rug and I do not want it to be raised, or at least raised too much. I would probably locate an outlet in one of the vertical sides of the platform, to connect the units I am going to use.

Is there a "flat " kind of conduit that can be used in this service? I do not want to cut a groove into the concrete to put in a round metal pipe. Any other ideas out there that I can use?

Thank you.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ted:

Do you put this under the carpet to cover the 12/2 romex and then make a hole in the carpet where the box is going to come out? Is this OK by the code for a permanent connection? I ask because some people quote the code as saying that this not allowed, but I am not sure whether they are correct or not. These are mostly Home Depot weekend sales clerks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You should use undercarpet power systems made and UL listed specifically for this application. Amp and others make them. I've never seen them in Home Depot, you may have to order through an electrical supply house.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bc1:

Called a local electrical supply store and was quoted $1000 for the under carpet power system you mention. What I may try to do is flatten with a sledge the round conduit and then insert the 12/2 wire inside. I do not know the strength of the conduit, so I have no idea if this can be done.

Barring that, I may just resort to an over the carpet extension. This will be for only a few feet on the far side of the room where there is very little traffic. I may even be able to disguise it with some sort of floor decoration.

Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just a few points.

Do not run plain romex under the carpet a major code violation. Enclosure in the structure (wall,etc) is considered part of the cables protective layer.

I don't think flattened conduit would be very protective as the round shape is what gives it strength. I strongly doubt it would pass code. "Wire Mold" is square but not rated for under carpet.

Is your platform located away from all walls?

Could you in some way make a slightly raised floor area to allow conduit to pass under? You only need an inch. 2x with 3/4 ply would give you a 2.25" raised area but allow conduit to pass under easily. If you ramped this it might be able to appear to be a "Feature".

Jim Mc

"The Stargate"

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...&sp=1&vt=vpall

·
Registered
48 Posts
Unfortunately, it's the only way to do it and meet code [without channeling the concrete]. It seems that you may not have alot of experience doing electrical work and I strongly suggest that you get professional assistance for this.

All installations are subject to building codes regardless of whether there is a valid permit and no matter who does the work. This may not mean much to you now, but it might if you try to sell the house and it fails inspection then, which it probably would since what you're trying to do would be impossible to conceal. If it were to pass inspection and you were to sell it as is, knowing that it is sub-code, you could be held liable for any damages or repair needed in the future, which could be costly.

Expense aside, codes, like the NEC, though overkill at times, really are for safety's sake and should be respected. I would hate to see you do something unsafe just to save money, that's how accidents happen.

Sorry for the lecture, it's your house and your installation. Good luck.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BC1

I understand what you are saying and I agree with your assessment. Because I know the use that I will give this setup, I may have a safe environment with almost any option I choose, although the code precludes the use of some. I could make whatever arrangement I decide, to be a temporary one. That is, I will build something that could be dismantled permantly for an inspection or for a future owner. That way the house and system will be intrinsically safe and there will be no code violation.

I think that the over the carpet extension option, with one of those cable protectors, may be the way to go. Anything else, although temporary, may be difficult to dismantle at a later date.

Thank you for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.