Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie on this one.

Just got the DVR Motorola 6208 from Insight. I have 15 pin vga male coming from the CRT. What is the best way to connect for best pic from the 6208? (Sony 1272 CRT) I could go to BNC connectors, but would prefer an adapter so as not to have to run more cable. Have DVI-D, S-Video, and y-Pb-Pr connectors on the rear of the 6208.

Will either of these work?

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/de...aspx?EDC=220667

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.a...=2028&sku=29640

If I need to take to another forum, please guide me!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,741 Posts
Owners Manual:
http://gicout60.gic.gi.com/customer_...494289-001.pdf

HD PVR. Nice.

Too bad it is indeed DVI-D, instead of DVI-I (then a simple $5 VGA cable could send HD to RGBHV).

Your links are broken, but no simple cable/adapter will give you HD from DVI-D, S-video, or component.

S-video (yecchkt) is your best bet unless buy a transcoder.

Most CRTs don't take component in, but I think 1272 may have an option? But I think component may be limited to 480p.

·
Registered
392 Posts
BNC is the best cable connection to send a signal to your projector.

However, your projector takes RGBHV, the best analog colorspace. Your DVR doesn't output RGBHV, it outputs digital, s-video, and component(YPbPr). You need to understand the differences.

RGBHV is the same signal/colorspace as a computer VGA. The only difference is your projector uses good BNC connectors instead of the cheapo 15pin VGA connector your used to seeing on computers.

So if you have S-Video on the projector you could use that, but it will not look nearly as good as RGBHV will, specialy on long cable runs.

To convert the signal you will need a transcoder, linedoubler, or a scaler. I never owned a Sony CRT so I'm not sure if the 1272 is a video or data grade projector. Data grade handles higher resolutions.

You will want to run the projector at its sweetspot. This is the highest resolution you can run without overlap of the scanlines. Running it less than that will show gaps between the scan lines.

Almost all scalers will alow you to upscale the image near the projectors sweetspot and will allow inputs from different colorspaces like YPbPr (component) and S-Video and output RGBHV which your projector accepts.

Most only take 480i in and output a progressive signal like 480p or 720p. Different scalers have different output options. There are like a dozen different standard resolutions. Some scalers, like the Lumagen, offer tweaking the output down to scan line increments. Others like the CS-1 allow downloading custom resolutions, which is more difficult.

A transcoder has no scaling ability. It will convert colorspace only, leaving the resolution the same. This is handy for HDTV 1080i sources like your box. I use one to convert component YPbPr out of my HD cable box to RGBHV, but for 1080i HDTV only. For DVD and standard definition TV (480i) I run thru scaler processing as the cable box's internal scaler is just awful.

Another popular option is to go with HDPC. This is using a computer to drive the projector. It works very well, but you need a combination of hardware and software. Most people using them only play DVD's and maybe games. There are HDTV tuner cards you can get as well. Often the video cards of choice have DVR capabilities to the PC's hard drive. But you will likely put the Motorola DVR on ebay, as there are not a lot of options to route external signals thru the PC. It can be done, but is going to require special stuff. The PC can be more of a hastle to use.

In any event, you need more than a cable unless your 1272 has S-Video in. S-Video to CRT is just wrong.

The quality of your picture is only as good as the weakest link in the video chain. Your going to need to spend $50 to $150 per cable to avoid the week links. A scaler will cost between $500 to $5000 depending how serious you are about picture quality and your specific needs. Transcoders range from $70 to $1000.

I went with a $1000 Lumagen scaler, $70 korean transcoder, and very good cables from c r t cinema. There are lots of options and you need to do your research before you decide. It took me months to figure out which way to go on my budget.

Good luck

Jay

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transcoder sounds like the option I'm looking for. I have a DVDO line doubler for DVD, but want the 1080 for HDTV. Where did you purchace the tranciever? I've seen www.copperbox.com units.

If I understand you, the signals are basically passed as they are received from the cable box?

Thanks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
A transcoder has to change the colorspace or something of the signal to go from Component to RGBHV (read the DIY Transcoder thread on AVS - can't remember what forum - for more detail on this math).

Anyway, they are about $100-150. Do a search on here for Transcoder. Some are better than others and might give you better results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.